• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chandlers 75 build thread

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
And so the next phase begins. Going to replace the bed and all 4 bed extensions as well as the passenger wheel well.. Going to try to do some patches on the upper seat area instead of replacing it..

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Well that escalated quickly:eek:

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
I am subscribed.

Did you media blast it on the frame or remove it, blast it and then set it back on the frame?

This one I was able to see the rusty spots so I didn't blast it first. I have found rust sandwiched in between layers of parts hence why I have replaced so many. I am replacing panels one section at a time so that I am sure every one will line up correctly. Some panels are easy to replace like the Floor in the rear. I got advise from Bax on this when making the decision to patch or replace. If you look through this board you will see the ones who kind of have specific knowledge of certain parts and assemblies. Don't be scared to PM them and ask them questions. Lord knows I have.
If I had a fully painted truck I would blast it first but this one I will before final rustproofing.
Chuck

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Started making the repair patches tonight. The butt weld clamps worked great. Welded spots and ground it down and then welded any seam that was left. This area is gonna be partially covered by the fender repair so I will dress it up better when I weld that one in. Primed it for now since everything likes rusting overnight here in coastal Fla. I really wish I lived closer to fordfan so I could have him make some of the curved pieces but I will get them done:)

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
OK so this has happened now. Now I have some body working room under there.
Found out that one shock is a different size so when I removed the bolt the right front lifted about an inch and a half...shock had it tethered... Also found that my right rear rear tube on the 9" is cracked. I will finish tearing front and rear apart tonight to see what other surprises I find..

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 88
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
I hope you're keeping those hurricane wheels...those are too cool!

I asked chandler since this is his bronco and he said yes he wants them. We are gonna have them powdercoated black between the fins and the face of them will remain polished.
Chuck

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Well I have figured out that my least favorite job is replacing the tail light housing body piece. Had to replace the left rear quarter and same side tail light body pieces. Glad the other side is good.

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 83
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Cleaning up the running gear I saw a oil spot under where the rear end was sitting. Thought it had leaked out of the pinion seal but when I cleaned the rear tube this is what I found. Apparently the tube had cracked on the original weld and the PO just ran a wide bead over the top instead of cleaning it up and v' ing the crack and welding it properly.
I hate it when that happens

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
So we took a little time off to work on the shop but this is what we found when trying to put the new rear taillight housing and new quarter panel on. The quarter to taillight had about a 1/4" gap at the top when the bottom was touching. The original housing was dented where it had been hit but it had also bent the rear body mount cross member about 3/8" in.
I have to pull it back out so that the panels will fit correctly.
This pic shows the outer 10" of the cross member bent with a straight edge showing the deflection.

Attachments

• bent.jpg
    bent.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
So after a few months of not being able to work on the Bronco, (getting shop done, Sending oldest off to deployment in Africa), we are now back full steam ahead on Chandlers Bronco.
It had The old style duffs shock hoops and remnants of the old shock mounts so all of that was cut off and ground down smooth so that I can install F250 shock towers. Of course I had to prime it as soon as I was done because it would rust overnight here in Fla. We should be pulling the body off the frame next week as soon as I finish welding the rear floor panel in.
Should have regular updates now. I only have to Christmas to finish it :eek:

Attachments

• hoops1.jpg
    hoops1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 115
  • hoops2.jpg
    hoops2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 96
  • hoops3.jpg
    hoops3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 93

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Deadlines are good, they keep you motivated... im hoping to be done with mine by August and by done I mean driveable and road ready

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Deadlines are good, they keep you motivated... im hoping to be done with mine by August and by done I mean driveable and road ready

Well I am really motivated as I am also trying to get Another one done by March of next year for my oldest as a surprise when he gets home from deployment. His is simpler as I am going with a Fiberglass body, ( If I can Find one) and it is gonna be more like My green one. Roadster no top doors etc.
Which reminds me, What am I doing on here. I need to get back out there and work. Break time over.

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Rydog,
What did you find with your experience with the panel bond. You said you were gonna use it on yours
Chuck

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I only used in one spot and that was on my kick panels and to tell you the truth, if you know how to weld its much easier because once you have your panel fit with sheet metal screws you just remove a screw and fill it. The panel bond you have to remove your panel once its fit, make sure its clean, apply the panel bond, then re-screw everything back together, wait for it to dry, then unscrew the screws and fill the holes in with more panel bond or filler. I would only recommend it if you have zero to none welding skills, its definitely more time consuming then just welding it together!

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
I only used in one spot and that was on my kick panels and to tell you the truth, if you know how to weld its much easier because once you have your panel fit with sheet metal screws you just remove a screw and fill it. The panel bond you have to remove your panel once its fit, make sure its clean, apply the panel bond, then re-screw everything back together, wait for it to dry, then unscrew the screws and fill the holes in with more panel bond or filler. I would only recommend it if you have zero to none welding skills, its definitely more time consuming then just welding it together!

Thanks,
I was thinking about using it in a couple of places that are harder to weld, well places I have to lay under it and weld, but I will just weld everywhere now. What's a few burns when you get an awesome Bronco in the end;D
Chuck

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Thanks,
I was thinking about using it in a couple of places that are harder to weld, well places I have to lay under it and weld, but I will just weld everywhere now. What's a few burns when you get an awesome Bronco in the end;D
Chuck

Wait til ya' get it off the frame and flip it over....welding upside down hurts!!!%)%)%)

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Wait til ya' get it off the frame and flip it over....welding upside down hurts!!!%)%)%)

You know....You're right.. This is the first time I have had the luxury of having it mounted on a roticery.. Didn't even think of that....
Chuck

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
No problem! looking forward to seeing how she turns out!