• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Change brake fluid as reg maintenance?

bsquared

Contributor
Sorry, this one's not Bronco, but tech related. Change out brake fluid?

2008 Honda Pilot. Shop wanted 20 bucks fluid, 70 bucks labor to change out the brake fluid.

I changed the pads today, but I've never heard of that being reg maint. Appreciate any feedback. (especially from factory techs..Tasker?)

On a Bronco related note, sucks to be me today. Noted some leakage on the pass side. Pinche inner seal on the Dana 30. It'll be tinker time soon!

Attachments

• BFexchange.jpg
    BFexchange.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 23
  • AxleLeak.jpg
    AxleLeak.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 38

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do on all my cars. Once a year I take a turkey baster suck out the fluid in the MC and refill. For me that enough and keeps the fluid clean and hopefully moisture out .

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I had never heard of such madness until I bought a new car last year - changing the brake fluid is part of its included maintenance package. My 14 year old Chevy pickup has the same fluid that was put in it when it came down the assembly line. Doesn't "look" bad but who knows maybe I'm one panic stop away from disaster...

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Id say brake fluid is good for a few hundred thousand miles.

When I do bleed my brakes I like to suck out the master and clean it then fill with fresh fluid and bleed a quart or two through it. Kinda a flush I suppose. But I don't worry about it unless im already there bleeding brakes. These shops love to make stupid things normal maintenance. Flush radiator, and trannie every few thousand miles. Whatever. I have had radiator and trannie fluid in most my trucks for 100K or even 200K on my excursion. You should also rotate tires every 5K. Why? I don't rotate until I notice the front or rear more worn than the opposite. Its funny how nowadays oil is changed every 5 to 10 thousand miles, where back in the day it was 3K. But they still think you should do other maintenance more often than a oil change.

As a carpenter I recommend that you redeck your deck every other year and re shingle every 3 years! Oh and it best to replace your drywall every 10 years to make sure its not growing black mold behind it! Might throw in there that all driveways should be tore up and redone every 5 years to keep them from catastrophic cracking.

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor

BknBronco, that's kinda what I thought. My DD is an 04 Tahoe w/ 230K and I've never changed the brake fluid. Just changed the pads at 200K and they really didn't need it. (mucho highway en Tejas!)

Thanks for the feedback, both ways. Fluid's clean and full so I'll let it ride.

Now...on to that pinche axle seal! :-(

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Its cool to see im not the only one left that's still running a dana30! And a drum brake one at that! CHEERS BSQUARED!

I hate to see bills like that when I pick up something from a shop. But once its said and done its nice to know you didn't have to kick and swear at it yourself. its always funner to let others cuss at your vehicle.

phldwsnoc1

Loc.
Jarrettsville, MD
Affirmative

Change the brake fluid early and often. After 30 years on the front lines, I have seen gobs of hydraulic failures due to fluid loaded with crud. The issue is that the crud accumulates in places that you can't see until you disassemble a wheel cylinder or caliper. A standard bleed won't solve the problem either because it just displaces the fluid between the brake line and the bleeder.

Here is an example: Toyota fixed calipers always fail the same way in that one of the lower pistons seizes in the caliper. Why always a lower? Because that is the lowest point in the front hydraulic system and also where the water starts to stratify in the system. In order to prevent this, you would have to remove the caliper and turn it upside down to get the crud to exit through the bleeder and refill it with fresh fluid.

My Bronco gets wheel cylinder overhauls in addition to fresh fluid every three years. I can't afford any loss in braking performance on that rig.

On modern cars, there are hydraulic components that cost well into the thousands of dollars. A proper flush can avoid a lot of expense.

Good luck!

Terkish

Rule of thumb on brake fluid is to flush the fluid every 30K miles or 3yrs.
Brake systems are not a 100% sealed and you will get moisture contamination which in turn will cause things to start rusting if not flushed out regularly.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I've had first hand experience with the brake fluid becoming contaminated and losing all braking function. That was about 20 years ago in Los Angeles rush hour traffic, hit the brakes pedal went to the floor. Fortunately I had enough space between the car in front and could use the E-brake and 1st gear to slow down and get off the freeway. After sitting for awhile the fluid cooled and brakes came back. Made it home carefully and pumped the old fluid out of the system while adding to MC so it wouldn't suck air. I could tell when fresh fluid had come through by the change in color. Now I change fluid every 60,000 +/-. Also saw a Jeep have the same problem in Moab. Came off a rock face with no brakes and did a nose stand. Changing fluid is cheap insurance.
Mark.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
I've never changed any "just because" but it wouldn't hurt anything if you feel like changing yours.The newer vehicles get more use than Broncos so for a few bucks ...I would change it.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yes the brake hydraulics should be flushed at least every three years. Moisture gets into the fluid and will rust the master and wheel cylinders. In fact, I do it after every deep water run, along with the axle/hub maintenance and differential oil change. When the brakes are hot and go under water, some of the water can get sucked in past the brake cylinder cups. It's not difficult. Just bleed a new quart of fluid through the system. Get a kid to pump, another to keep the reservoir full, and you crawl underneith to man the wrench. It takes about ten minutes.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV

Wrong! Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture (unlike oil). The longer it is exposed to atmosphere the shorter its life. Brake fluid with too much moisture absorbed in it begins to cause corrosion within the brake system or will begin to boil under high brake heat which will cause loss in pedal pressure.

Easy rule: Once the fluid is no longer clear, bleed it and replace. That can vary depending on your vehicle, climate and brake use. Brake fluid is much cheaper than master cylinders, proportioning valves, ABS pumps, wheel cylinders and calipers.

I prefer the gravity bleed method. You can do it alone while consuming your favorite weekend beverage between wheels.

ransil

Bronco Guru
This go back to as the wife tells the story "the first time he tried to kill me"

contaminated brake fluid caused the loss of brakes.

gotdads68

Contributor
....or will begin to boil under high brake heat which will cause loss in pedal pressure.

This is a good point, I was towing with my Bronco and had this happen after a long downhill grade, definitely a pucker moment. There are so many aftermarket options for improving brake systems (braided lines, better pads, etc.) that fluid change is one of the cheaper ones. Also, like a previous poster stated, newer systems involve a lot more components some of which are very expensive, and the modern systems use twice the fluid or more than older vehicles.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wrong! Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture (unlike oil). The longer it is exposed to atmosphere the shorter its life. Brake fluid with too much moisture absorbed in it begins to cause corrosion within the brake system or will begin to boil under high brake heat which will cause loss in pedal pressure.

Easy rule: Once the fluid is no longer clear, bleed it and replace. That can vary depending on your vehicle, climate and brake use. Brake fluid is much cheaper than master cylinders, proportioning valves, ABS pumps, wheel cylinders and calipers.

I prefer the gravity bleed method. You can do it alone while consuming your favorite weekend beverage between wheels.

What he ^ said. But I'm not a big fan of gravity bleeding...probably because I'm too impatient. I have a pressure bleeder ($$) and a vacuum bleeder and like the vacuum bleeder better.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I change the brake fluid in all of my vehicles every three months just for good measure..... can't be too safe and moisture could creep in there and cause a failure... or some junk might get into the system... %) and if it makes you feel better about your brakes, you could do it every 30 days..

js521

Brake fluid is Hydroscopic. I know that isn't spelled right.... Which means it attracts and absorbs water. It doesn't take very long for the water content to become fairly high. It will pull water into the system. This will cause the fluid to boil at a very low temp, let alone the corrosion problems.