• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Change ignition cylinder

Flyfisen

Guys still need help, bought new door and ignition set for my 73. Doors switched out but old key/cylinder will not go into ACC position to allow paperclip removal. I have been told drill it out, any body do this? What size drill where to start, how deep to go. Any other options as the switch assembly works fine and I don’t want to change it all out if not necessary.
No I don’t want to take a slide hammer to it either

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm guessing your lock and or key are badly worn out explaining why you're replacing them. Try another key if you have one. Next use the best key and turn it towards the ACC position using light pressure while jiggling it. I've done that with a key I knew was incorrect and it still worked.

OP
OP
F

Flyfisen

Tried them both. Funny original key will turn to run and start the rig, ( but does fall out while driving). And I’ve tried the new keys and hatch key in the ignition, giggled the s..t out of them but it just won’t go to the ACC��
Any more ideas,

TNcowboy

Have you tried to shoot in a good lubricant? I've used a locksmith lube called Houdini that helps stubborn cylinders, but any good lube should help

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I had the same problem, ultimately it turned out to be so stiff and difficult that I scrapped the new cylinder and went back to my original. Good luck, hopefully someone can offer some help.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I had this same problem about 10 years ago when I bought the new set. I ended up putting the tumblers out of the new cylinder into my old cylinder.

Very tedious to do though.

Btw I thought this issue with the ignition cylinders would be a thing of the past by now. Most all the vendors were have trouble with them few years back.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
will the ignition switch come out of the truck with the cylinder in it?
if so take the whole she bang to the lock smith with your keys and let them fix it.

broncobilly72

The whole switch will come out, but it's quite a chore getting it back in while on your back under the dashboard!

OLD BOB

Loc.
ODESSA, TEXAS
The switch will not come out without removing the bezel. The cylinder will have to be removed so that the bezel is loose. I recommend that you don't remove the entire switch. I just went through that process and it was a nightmare. The switch is spring loaded and there is almost no way to get a hand behind the dash to compress the switch. I have been mechanic for many years and this is the most difficult ignition switch that I ever changed.
Just keep working with the key and cylinder until it turns to ACC. You paper clip should make the cylinder turn counter clockwise enough to remove it.
rd

OP
OP
F

Flyfisen

Thanks all. I lubed it with no results. I’ll keep after it. Any thoughts about drilling it out? Has anyone done this successfully?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I went through three "new" ignition cylinders here within last 5 years. I found an OEM NOS on ebay, it is in dash now and works great, and better, i used original lock cylinder and one key opens everything.