• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charcoal canister missing - Issues??

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Hey gang,

After I read this post about how the owner didn't know what this "line conected to a valve" was. Apparently, it was/is vent lines that run from your gas tanks to a charcoal canister mounted to the firewall. Today, I checked and found that I did not have the lines running under my Bronco just below the passengers door, on the outside of the frame. It looks as though I have the holes drilled for it, yet, no lines. This means, I do not have anything hooked up to the charcoal canister, if I even have it (I didn't look after I saw I didn't even have the lines).

This raises two questions for me:

1) Could this be a reason why my truck smells so heavily like gas when I drive her?

2) I have to go for emissions testing this coming week. The PO got his emissions taken care of then he had a custom exhaust put on the truck. This is probably why the lines were removed in the first place, is my guess. So, with that being said, and not knowing exactly what Colorado allows as "legal" or not, should I be concearned going into my tests?

Thanks gang!!

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
If your Bronco is a 1969 then the charcoal can. would be located on the pass. side frame just behind the tire. Up until 74? they were a round metal can mounted this way.After that they were plastic and mounted on the pass side firewall inside the engine compartment.

Behind the drivers seat there is an access panel that contains a plastic evap unit for fumes which might be leaking....causing the gas smell.

Good luck

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
Slum,
You shouldn't have a problem here in CO. Mine isn't connected anymore and it's never been a sticking point when getting it inspected. I just wouldn't take to the Envirotest station for the test. I noticed you are located in the "Peoples Republic of Boulder" ;D ;D ;D . Take a short drive east on US36 to Pecos street exit. Turn right off highway and at about 70th ave. (2 blocks or so) on the left side of the street is a little station that does early model emission tests.

Also when you go for plates get the Classic plates. It'll cost you for 5 years worth but at $125 it's is still better than getting emission done every year.

Good luck

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I got rid of all that junk and haven't had a problem (the canister, lines, and tank in the cab). I have a couple of reversed fuel filters ran up on the fuel tanks for the vents. Never had a smell yet.

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
"Peoples Republic of Boulder"
LOL, yeah, I wish I would have known that before I purchased my EB! What a bitch this whole (EXPENSIVE) process has been!! My sales tax on the EB is a pretty penny, that's why I haven't registered her even though I've had my truck for about two months now... So, the Envirotest station isn't the station off of Airport road, correct? Sorry, I'm new to Boulder :)

Behind the drivers seat there is an access panel that contains a plastic evap unit for fumes which might be leaking....causing the gas smell.
broncoswede61 - Is this easily reachable by looking directly under the vehicle??

Thanks for the great info gang, keep it coming!!

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
Slumlord said:
LOL, yeah, I wish I would have known that before I purchased my EB! What a bitch this whole (EXPENSIVE) process has been!! My sales tax on the EB is a pretty penny, that's why I haven't registered her even though I've had my truck for about two months now... So, the Envirotest station isn't the station off of Airport road, correct? Sorry, I'm new to Boulder :)

broncoswede61 - Is this easily reachable by looking directly under the vehicle??

Thanks for the great info gang, keep it coming!!

Hey Slumlord....no, you can't reach the evap unit from under the bronc but you can see the hard black plastic lines that come out.To reach the unit you have to unscrew the panel inside the cab just behind the drivers seat.

I've got all the original '72 low tech emmissions equip. on my Bronco and it runs great.I've never seen the need to remove it.

Good luck

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Alright, is this the monster I'm looking for? If so, I see what you mean how I can't get to it from under the vehicle. What a PITA it could be if it is leaking (odors) and I have to change it! :-[

evap_pump.gif

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
Slumlord said:
Alright, is this the monster I'm looking for? If so, I see what you mean how I can't get to it from under the vehicle. What a PITA it could be if it is leaking (odors) and I have to change it! :-[

evap_pump.gif
NO...That's the manual switch for your 2 tanks! The switch with bezal on the dash is for the sending units gauge

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
Slumlord,
If would be worth it to take a trip east on US36 just head toward Denver. Take the Pecos exit and go right. You will see the emission place a few blocks off the highway on the left. I took my EB to Envirotest for a couple of years and fought with them over the emissions then when I had the chance to get Classic plates I took it. 5 years on one plate before renewal and never having to hassle with the emissions is worth the price. Of course the wife was mad at me for giving up her personalized plate (Hers II) but she's over it now.