• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charcoal canister

levib1

I found my original charcoal canister.

Couple questions:

1. Does the charcoal lose effectiveness? Or can I clean up and paint and reuse this canister? If it does lose effectiveness, can it be renewed?

2. As far as the hoses, any vendors supply the various hoses for the canister? I have the brackets.

Attached is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpeg
    IMG_1112.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 37

armynavy17

Contributor
Charcoal does lose effectiveness with exposure to vapors. In theory most of the vapors should be released by the charcoal when the engine is running and pulling fresh air through the canister, but the consensus is this ability reduces over the years. I have heard of people baking their old canisters at a low temp (maybe 200F) for an hour or so to revive it. I don't know many people with a spare oven in the garage/outside and I've never met a woman who's ok with me baking parts that smell like gasoline in her oven in the house...

I've baked bearings before in a pinch when I didn't have a bearing heater, but she was out of town. I personally wouldn't have the guts to try the same with an old charcoal canister.

The other question is, even if it's lost some effectiveness, is it still an improvement over no canister? My gut says yes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ditto on everything said above.
The baking thing was kind of a standard practice a long time ago and was even written up in a magazine articles several times over the years.

Probably could do close to the same thing on a hot sunny day.
Hopefully the media was never fully flooded with water or gasoline. Not sure how easy it would be to come back from that, but if it’s just old I’d give it a try as well.

I think you can still buy the large hose at most auto parts stores. One goes up to the air filter housing, one just goes up into the engine compartment, and the small one is the inlet from the tank vents.
I don’t remember what year yours is, but if a 73 through 75 there might be an additional medium size fitting. That was for a hose from the carburetor bowl vent.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just thinking what would happen if I actually tried to cook something in the oven, imy wife would kill me nad I wailed have to buy a new oven.haaaa
if you look how the later 77 bronco s locate the charcoal canister. It’s a later square plastic style and mounts high on the passenger side under the intake for the heater might be an option maybe you can actually purchase a new one of those . My 77 has the bracket for it but still has a round canister down on the frame rail buy the passenger front tire

armynavy17

Contributor
Unless you're going for a true restoration, I agree the later style canister is a much better option.

Pull the separator tank out from behind the driver's seat and go straight to the charcoal canister in the engine bay. Add in a rollover valve in between if you want and call it a day. They still sell the little mushroom cap for the fresh air vent on the mustang sites.

CopperBronco

I found my original charcoal canister.

Couple questions:

1. Does the charcoal lose effectiveness? Or can I clean up and paint and reuse this canister? If it does lose effectiveness, can it be renewed?

2. As far as the hoses, any vendors supply the various hoses for the canister? I have the brackets.

Attached is a pic.
I just wrote up a thread on how to replace your canister, and also a link to old OEM canisters as well if you want to take a look if that one is ruined: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...-install-solve-gas-smell.313910/#post-3415978

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has nothing to do with how it runs. It’s all about keeping the family happy and free of gas fumes in the house.
If you don’t have a sealed vent and don’t have fumes, more power to you. But you’re one of the lucky ones.

Cardfan

Loc.
St Louis, MO
Mine was pretty bad in the summer and gave everyone in the house headaches. new canister fixed the smell and curbed the complaining right away. Wish I could find a black emission hose like the Gates brand above, but that’s just cosmetic. Not a fan of the shiny hose

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yeah, me neither. The original stuff was a buff/beige color and totally matte in appearance. Nothing shiny about it except when one of the metal coils was exposed.
If someone finds some black hose, let us all know!

Paul

CopperBronco