• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chassis Brake Line

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
This may be a stupid question, but I removed my brake lines about six months ago, and can't remember how the main chassis line goes back in, especially the rear. I bought all new stainless lines from Jeff's, but the bends in the line don't really match the contours of the frame. It's making me question the placement all together. Also, does the rear fitting fit through the angled brace on the rear crossmember? Any tips or pics would help me out.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I just took mine apart about 2 weeks ago. The axels are being built now. I should have them back next week. I belive that I remember how they go back together. I am in Naples. If you e-mail me a picture of what you have, maybe I can help you place things.

cgbexec@aol.com

KManuel

Loc.
Cape Cod
On one end it almost makes a 180 degree turn, that is the end that goes in the rear. Mine slide right in, no fighting.

If you need pics, pm me with your email address and I'll send a couple to you.

Kevin

OP
OP
SWFLABRONCO

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
Here are some pics of what I have so far. This is probably wrong so please advise with any tips here. Note the rear connection into the angled crossmember bracket. It looked right so I tried it, but it doesn't give the braided line much play if the rear axle drops much.

Attachments

• broncobrakelines-5.jpg
    broncobrakelines-5.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 62
  • broncobrakelines-4.jpg
    broncobrakelines-4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 55
  • broncobrakelines-3.jpg
    broncobrakelines-3.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 53
  • broncobrakelines-2.jpg
    broncobrakelines-2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 63
  • broncobrakelines-1.jpg
    broncobrakelines-1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 56

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Did you jack up the frame to let the suspension go to full droop? It does look kind of short. We need a picture of a stock connection before disasembly. I wish I had taken photos.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Not sure how many inches of lift you will be running, but keep in mind there are 2 different lengths of extended brake lines (one for up to 3.5 and one for up to 6.5"). Also, imprtant to keep in mind that right now there is basically little to no weight on the springs, so while the springs are not quite as extended as they might be under crazy-flex/articulation, they are much higher than they would be at "ride-height".

Otherwise, I believe you have it routed correctly. I bought a set of extended lines a few years ago, that I thought I would be able to use and when I ended up going to the 5.5" springs on my build , it became obvious they were not going to work. So, they are back in the box and I got some others from BCB, who does offer both lengths of lines. HTH.

John

KManuel

Loc.
Cape Cod
Thats it. Your braided does look short, but I have a 3.5 lift and an extended brake line, so I'm not much help in that dept.

Is that braided line stock length? With those tires, what size lift do you have? Also you just have the weight of the chassis on you suspension, so it might not have much drop from there.

Try jacking up the frame untill the tire comes off the ground and see what kind of play you have.

Kevin

OP
OP
SWFLABRONCO

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
Thanks guys. The lift is the 3.5" Superflex from JBG. The lines were included with the kit, so I am assuming they are the correct length. Now that I have some confidence that it is routed correctly, I'll try jacking up the frame to see if it starts to overextend under flex.

frdbronco73

Hey sorry for the off topic, where did you get the stock clips for the brake lines. i cant find those anywhere.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
They do have them at Carquest. about 25-30 cents apiece....usually behid the counter.