• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Che*y or Ford Front Discs?

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
Ive read most of the tech articles of Che*y and Ford Front Disc Conversions and am having a tuff time deciding which to do...........

It seems like the Che*y conversion looks to be the easiest, is it?

What would you guys do?

Nick~

jcwalsh1

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
I have started collecting parts for the Chevy conversion. No one will ever know, it is half the cost and less work. I am going to the local "You Pull It" yard this weekend to see if I can locate the spindles. I called 15 yards on Friday and only 2 had old blazers. They both wanted $40-50 per spindle and $15 for the backing plates.

Good luck.

Jeff

B

bert

I just finished the Ford conversion. I'm sure it is more work as you must change the knuckles. The Chevy conversion is probably easier and you don't need to mess with tie rod end bushings to make the tie rod ends fit. It is probably 6's what is better. Cost and availability sent me the Ford direction.

OP
OP
N

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
I plan on getting a set of wildhorses Extream Axles;
There is two kinds, Ford Brakes and chevy Brakes,
I emailed wildhorses about the difference and this is what he said:

"You can use either axle set with the Chevy disc brake conversion, at least the one we carry. If you have the axles for the Ford brakes and you install the Chevy conversion you will not be able to use the C clipt hat would normally go on the outside of the axle, in stock form. This is not really an issue though. Most people just go without and have no problems. If you are going to install new axles along with the Chevy disc brake kit then you might consider going with the Chevy axles. There is no difference in price. The difference between the two axles is on the outer axle. The Chevy axle is 1/2 inch longer than the Ford. Whether Ford or Chevy, well, we do sell the Chevy conversion so my choice there is a bit biased, but the reality is that there is less involved in the conversion and the parts are much more
common. The Ford setup would also necessitate swapping out your knuckles. This would then also mean possibly needing to change your tie rod as well. It is basically more work and added expense."

So after hearing this i think i am gonna get the che*y brake axles and do the che*y discs........

Nick~

OP
OP
N

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
[quote author=jcwalsh1 link=board=5;threadid=19159;start=0#msg146808 date=1056416249]
Let me know if you find any good deals on the spindles, plates and calipers.[/quote]

Will Do ;)

Nick~

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I searched every bone yard in a 40 mile radius and found nothing. No chevy No Ford, nada. After spending 6 saturdays in a row looking for brakes I gave up and called around for new parts. Yeah right, it was going to be cheaper to buy the parts from any of the Bronco house's than peice it out. So, I did and went with the Ford conversion. Availibility of replacement parts was the reason. All the work is already done.