• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cheapo Welder Advice Please?

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
That would probably work for a thin gauge metal, but (and I mean "but"). I would suggest buying something a little beefier so you can do other welding with it other then just sheet metal....just my 2 cents...I'm sure more will chime in about this ...

Bator

Loc.
Las Vegas
I will second that on the gas as I could not weld sheetmetal with burning a hole through it without it. Save up a get a good machine. You'll save time and money in the long run.

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
You will be happier with a bigger machine, save up and buy at least a 130 amp mig machine or better yet a 175-180 amp machine that way you will be able to weld whatever you want on the bronco

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
I have had a Miller-matic 130 since 1987 and have never regretted it.

With the right gas you can weld mild steel, Alum, Stainless up to 1/4"

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I borrowed a 140 Hobart from a friend to try it out and he did not have the gas hooked up and use the flux core wire. I then bought one myself and hooked it up to gas. There was a big difference for me, Especially where is going to show. I just wed with gas all the time. I think mine was $460 at Northern with free shipping.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I buy A LOT of stuff at HF but a welder is NOT something I would buy there, stick with one of the big 3 (Hobart, Lincoln, Miller) and you can't go wrong.
I've use one of those HF ones before at a buddy's and I can tell you that you get what you pay for. Save your pennies and get a good one.
I saved up and bought a Lincoln 175-SP (220V) and am very very happy with it.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool: :cool: :cool: I would suggest saveing a little more money and getting a little better one. You should have one that will use gas as there much better for body work. Also you would be better off with one that is 220 over 110. Good luck and have fun.%) %) %) Bill %) :cool: ;D

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Yah, itll work. I have the same one. I did all my welding on with it. You'll end up cussin at it, but I upgraded the actual tube that the fire feeds through to a steel one I bought at Air Gas, and that has made the welder much more enjoyable. I also put a fan on it, cuz it overheats like no ones business.

OP
OP
Bilgamesh

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
This is not a matter of saving up to buy one. I have the money to do whatever I want to, its just that I have put so much into one-time tools already, that it is hard for me to justify buying the best of everything. If I were going to be using it from now on, the story would be different. On the other hand, I don't want to buy it and find it is unusable. Functional and economical is what I am after. I guess I will continue to browse Craig's list awhile. - Thanks

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
This is not a matter of saving up to buy one. I have the money to do whatever I want to, its just that I have put so much into one-time tools already, that it is hard for me to justify buying the best of everything. If I were going to be using it from now on, the story would be different. On the other hand, I don't want to buy it and find it is unusable. Functional and economical is what I am after. I guess I will continue to browse Craig's list awhile. - Thanks

Well if it's not a matter of price... Then figure out what you need... A gas capable welder is better. I have the Hobart 135 and it is a good unit. BUT... I wish it had an infinite heat selector. It doesn't, it has 4 choices. The miller and lincoln of a comparable size do. Mine is a 110V and I think it's fine for the limited use I need. I assume you are of the same type and I think a 220V is over kill for our useage, but if the price is right, I'd go for it as it is better.
A 140 whatever will do anything on our trucks. They are good up to 1/4" and there isn't much of anything over 1/8" including the frame.
I think the important thing is to learn how to use it.

I think a few week course ot the local community college would be well worth the time and money. I spent lots of $$$ boogering stuff before I finally figured things out... well almost.

bighorn

Get one with gas. You won't beleive how much easier and better it is. Clean welds and better performance on sheetmetal. Lincoln, Hobart, or Miller.....It's worth the extra money.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've got a campbell hausfeld cheapy 130. it works good on small stuff. The liner is the source of most of it's problems, and a lube pad helps a bunch to keep it from skipping if the hose isn't laying just right. I keep flux core in it, but in the shop at work I weld with gas on a Miller 130. The gas makes the weld come out smoother and with less splatter, but aint worth a damn in a breeze, and that's why I use the flux core at home, where I'm normally outside. (welding upside down under a drippy truck in a blizzard at 3:00am).
you can weld with flux almost just as well, you just need to get used to the feel of it, and preheat!
In conclusion; cheap welders are okay. but you'd be happier with something bigger than that

P.S.
that's what she said! Oh! giggity giggity!

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You don't always have to buy the best but these HF welders are pretty marginal. The light weight transformer has a very short duty cycle and will get hot and bun up if you excede it. The wire drive works ok for occasional use but would fail if you used it a lot. The cable and gun are very low quality and will not last long especailly they get mishandle or dropped. Just as a point of reference just a new tweco gun for a 180 amp machine is about $165. Some HF tools are a great deal some are crap. Their welders fall into the latter catagory. IMO

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I have a little lincoln - big difference when I added gas. And with all those one-time tools. Well, put them to good use. Get a project eb :-D

OP
OP
Bilgamesh

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I have been watching craigslist every day since posting this. Late this evening a post went up for a Lincoln Electric Weld Pak HD, used once. I bought it for $125, therefore probably saved $100 over retail. The duty cycle is 20%@70A, so hopefully it will work for the floor pan replacement and the spot welds on the doors. If you have experience with one, please let me know your thoughts. - Thanks

Last edited: