• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevrolet Truck Steering Box Conv.

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
i purchased a 71 eb w/ a chevy truck box installed outside the frame mounted. my problem is that the box is busted and someone welded my pitman arm on to it so i cannot find a pitman arm to install on my new box, to fit it to convert it to heim joint type steering. i am also in the process of installing a 2.5 inch sus. kit from toms, so a longer pitman arm or a drop one will work. thanks for any help.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hit the junk yard I believe the ch#vy pitman arm will work if not check ford vans you dont need a drop pitamn arm for a 2.5in lift especailly if your doing a TRO conversion.

OsideDave

Years ago my dad put a chevy van p/s box on his 70 and I think it was the van pitman arm as well.

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
thanks alot i will start calling tommorrow. i will keep you posted on the process. thanks

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
I run a Saginaw type AGR super box on my 73 EB mounted to the inside of the frame. I used a J-10 pitman arm.

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
thumping said:
I run a Saginaw type AGR super box on my 73 EB mounted to the inside of the frame. I used a J-10 pitman arm.
what is a j10 pitman come on that i can find in a salvage yard or call the parts store. thanks

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Yep, a J-10 is a Jeep pick-up. There are still a few around in the junk yards but I think I only paid like $15 or $20 for a new one. I got mine from Jim's off road center in Oakridge TN. The reason I used the J-10 is for the size of it. I run 3/4" heims and most of the stock GM pitman arms were so small that drilling a 3/4" hole through them was not an option. Most of the stock Jeeps use a 5/8" bore when running heim joints on stock steering stuff.

Anthony

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
thumping said:
Yep, a J-10 is a Jeep pick-up. There are still a few around in the junk yards but I think I only paid like $15 or $20 for a new one. I got mine from Jim's off road center in Oakridge TN. The reason I used the J-10 is for the size of it. I run 3/4" heims and most of the stock GM pitman arms were so small that drilling a 3/4" hole through them was not an option. Most of the stock Jeeps use a 5/8" bore when running heim joints on stock steering stuff.

Anthony
would you happen to have the phone number. thanks for helping me out.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Jim's number is 865-482-6724 I'm not sure about the part number but make sure it is for a J-10. You might want to ask for Jim. A guy named Lonnie usually answers the phone and is about as sharp as a brick with a personality to match. Just tell him the box you are using and he can fix you up. Not sure I would mention the EB as most heep places are usually a little jealous… He runs a CJ7 body and frame but everything else is the usually jeep running gear…Chevrolet.