• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy disk using the Knuckles too??

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
With all the Chevy disk conversion discussions, I couldn't find any that discussed doing it with the knuckles too.<br><br>I have all the parts, and I am hoping to get the Chevy front axles cut down in the next couple weeks. I am wondering if '74 Chev 1/2ton 4x4 Knuckles will fit my D44 housing? I am trying to work out a High Steer DOM tubing system using the beefier Chevy tie rod ends. I saw discussions about drilling and tapering the original knuckles, but if this would work, it seems like it would be better all around. <br>My only other concern would be my drag link. I could either run it to the passenger side knuckle, or try to copy Chevy's setup of a short drag link to the drivers side knuckle.<br>ANY and all thoughts are more than appreciated...<br><br>TIA!!!<br>Dave C.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
[quote author=moabers link=board=5;threadid=12265;start=0#90957 date=1039741040]<br>With all the Chevy disk conversion discussions, I couldn't find any that discussed doing it with the knuckles too.<br><br>I have all the parts, and I am hoping to get the Chevy front axles cut down in the next couple weeks. I am wondering if '74 Chev 1/2ton 4x4 Knuckles will fit my D44 housing? I am trying to work out a High Steer DOM tubing system using the beefier Chevy tie rod ends. I saw discussions about drilling and tapering the original knuckles, but if this would work, it seems like it would be better all around. <br>My only other concern would be my drag link. I could either run it to the passenger side knuckle, or try to copy Chevy's setup of a short drag link to the drivers side knuckle.<br>ANY and all thoughts are more than appreciated...<br><br>TIA!!!<br>Dave C.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I think they'll fit, but is the tie rod on the Chevys on top of the knuckle? If not, there's no advantage- you'd still have to ream them from the top down to do a tie rod over swap. There is plenty of metal in the Dana 44 knuckles used on the EB to ream them safely.<br><br>When doing a tie rod over swap with Chevy rod ends, the normal practice is to ream the rod end with the extra eye so it fits the drag link rod end, then ream the pitman arm likewise and use a drag link arrangement similar to the stock EB. I've had this setup (using threaded DOM tubes) for a year, I'm happy with it. Tons more ground clearance than the stock setup. I had to raise the track bar mount on the axle to clear the new tie rod, but besides that the swap took about 3 hours including reaming knuckles, tie rod end and pitman arm.

OP
OP
M

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
Yes, the tie rod ends do go in from the top, but what I was hoping to use was aftermarket high steer brackets. They bolt on to the top flat section of the knuckle right beside the upper ball joint. This should move my steering rods 3-4inches higher than modifying the Bronco knuckles for the rod ends to go in from the top.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Sounds interesting. Just make sure you'll have enough clearance between the tie rod and the frame cross member on full spring compression. If you do it, take some pictures. I'm sure a lot of people here would like to see your setup.

leaded1825

Yes you can use the chevy knuckle. I have it on mine.<br>You do not need to get the axles cut down.You use the stock inner and chevy outter. What I did with the steering was drill the knuckle with the same pattern as drivers side. I was not able to put tie rod on top though.The angle of the drag link was way off to the track bar so I put it under the arms. I have a 1 degree differance between the two so no bump steer. Keeps the tie rod away from the rocks.Plus I uped the rod ends to 1ton plus put a heaver drag link on also.