• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chevy Heater Conversion Blows Fuse on High

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
I performed the chevy heater conversion with bigger fan and it works fine as long as I keep it on low (new switch as well). But, as soon as I leave it on high for a minute or so, the fuse panel starts smoking and the fuse melts in two. Is the amp usage too high when running the heater motor on the high setting? It will run indefinitely on "low". I'm running the stock fuse block that's been relocated to the ash tray. Any ideas? It's getting cold....;D

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm using the stock 20 amp fuse size. Thanks for the help!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You might check the condition of the wires and the contacts in the fuse box. When you moved it, was the fuse block already rusty underneath? What is the general condition of your wires? A bad connection or wire somewhere might be creating too much resistance and causing the fuse to blow, but it's hard to say. I think you're the first to mention this issue after the swap, so I'd look at the wires first.

Good luck. Maybe some of the others have had the same issue, but just put in a bigger fuse and not told anyone?
Was your heater motor new or used?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and what about the condition of the switch itself?
And did you add a good ground wire for the motor to work? I assume you did, since it works at all, but I thought I'd ask.

Paul

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where did you get the motor from, is a reman from China? The reason I ask I had the same problem, I returned 2 of them before I said the hell with this. I went to the jk-yard and pulled one from a 77 malibu wagon, no problems and its been in there for 2 yrs. That chinese stuff is JUNK, those motors have too much resistance and cause the fuses to blow. Some people have good luck with them but I havn't.

OP
OP
Green76

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
Where did you get the motor from, is a reman from China? The reason I ask I had the same problem, I returned 2 of them before I said the hell with this. I went to the jk-yard and pulled one from a 77 malibu wagon, no problems and its been in there for 2 yrs. That chinese stuff is JUNK, those motors have too much resistance and cause the fuses to blow. Some people have good luck with them but I havn't.

You probably hit the nail on the head, it was from Napa, and if I remember right- I was commenting on the fact that it had a made in China sticker on it! I also forgot to mention that when I was watching the solder drip out of the end of my fuse cap from overheating, there was a spark where the fuse touches the fuse block contacts (behind it maybe). Is there a chance my old fuse block is wore out? The general condition of the wires is very good/excellent.