• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chrome Light Ring Mod'ing?

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Hey Gang,

Latley I've been thinking that I'd like to have chrome rings around my lights rather then the ones I have that are painted white (see pic below).

Now, I could drop $55 @ Wildhorses for a set, or I suppose I could go to a pick-apart and get some for maybe $30 but I'm wondering what I can do with the already exsisting rings? Is there some way to somehouse get them back to chrome (which is what they are under the white paint) without sandblasting them or dropping the $55 to Wildhorses?

Thanks!!

Bronco1.jpg

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You may want to try a gentle paint stripper. I don't know if something citrus based may work on automotive paint or not, but it would be a good option.

Chrome is pretty tough, you may be able to use a little tougher stripper, but I won't pretend to know what kind in particular that won't damage the finish. (Brake parts cleaner takes the paint off of anything, I found out the hard way, but I don't suggest it for a first try...) I know people that have used aircraft stripper to take all the paint off of a vehicle in the past when preparing it for primer and paint., not sure how it affects chrome though.?:?

yellow71

Loc.
Western PA
Any stripper should do, it won't effect the chrome underneath. The question is how good is the chrome underneath? Can it be buffed? Will it need replated? If so, new from WH is likely cheaper. Invest $5 in stripper and see what you got under there.

Citrus stripper will work on auto paint, I've done it ;D

rayc

Loc.
Western Oregon
I was looking on Wildhorses website and could not find the chrome headlight rings. I could only find the retaining rings. If they are selling them for around $50 for a set that is a killer price. I just got quoted $40 a piece to have them rechromed.

yellow71

Loc.
Western PA
rayc said:
I was looking on Wildhorses website and could not find the chrome headlight rings. I could only find the retaining rings. If they are selling them for around $50 for a set that is a killer price. I just got quoted $40 a piece to have them rechromed.

I believe they are $50 each, not a pair. $15 for used, painted rings each. I found these prices at JBG.

rayc

Loc.
Western Oregon
That sounds a little bit more realistic:) While we are talking about chrome, does anyone know who has the best price for the F-O-R-D for the grill? I am looking for the chrome FORD with the red inserts.

Trigger

I would try the paint stripper, I used some cheap stripper on some plastic to remove some paint and it worked great. You don't have much to loose, if the chrome is bad underneath you can repaint them until you get the new chrome ones. I say go for it, but keep the stripper away from the Bronco, the stripper in the can changes with temp and will expand the can and if you don't vent it a little it can blow the lid off and the stripper goes everywhere, I know this from experience, I ran screaming like a woman, it burns the eyes real well :eek: , not to metion making a nice design in the newly applied primer at the time.
Trigger

jcwalsh1

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
Find a local chrome shop. They will strip them and give them a nice new coat of chrome. I would not pay more than 40-50 for both. 1/2 price of new chrome and I bet you get a nicer product.

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the great advice/tips gang!

Oh, and by the by, the chrome headlight rings are under the subtitle "02 Body Parts" , at Wildhorses4x4.com.
Yellow71 and rayc, you're right, $55 does sound more realistic, which is exactly what they cost from the site. Damn.

I guess I'll see if we have any decent chrome shops in town and see what they charge before I use paint stripper on them.

Great suggestions!

Keep 'em coming!