• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Claw vs. Xterrain

lala

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
I'm going to need new rubber soon. Only going with 31" due to strong arm steering and dana 30. I mostly do trails but am close to Oceano Dunes, so I want to be able to have fun in the sand occasionally. True mud tires dig. Not good in sand. I've heard good things about the MT baja claw and the price is right. But Pro Comp has the "buy three get one free". Which would you get? It's not a daily driver. Occasional trip to and from work or trail. Feedback please.

dk5122

Loc.
Bel Air, MD
The X's are no good for mud. Should be fine for sand. The Claws will dig in the sand. They are a MT tire. I have seen both tires in action. I play in the sand and the mud with my 36" TSL's. I just air down in the sand, and take it easy. I need to get a set of AT's for when I go to the beach. Uhhh.. another set of tires. :'(

KST1

I've been running 35"x13.50 claws for about 5 years now. Good tire. I had them on the dunes at Silver Lake Michigan and was pleased with the performance, but I am no dune expert. They'll throw mud like crazy. Decent on the street. I've heard (and believe) that you can run them backwards (chevrons pointed up) for more floatation.

Previously, I've spent some time running paper company trails in Wisconsin, which are primarily sand. I was running 35"x14.5" MT Baja Belteds then and they worked great in the sand as well. They are a bit more "all terrain" and wear much better than the claws.

-D

Bucmaster

I bought the X's specifically for sand. Price was also a big factor. Seem to work fine for sand and dailey driving. Have never run the claws, so I can't give a real comparison.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
Just an FYI- the radial claws and Xterrains are the exact same tire in every way. Only difference is the mold they go in after production.

OldieTwoShoes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
petersons did a tire comparison with about 6 or so tires (the claws and xterrains were 2 competitors) and they were testing little meats (31") and im pretty sure xterrains came in last and the claws came in second behind tsls, and as what was said before they perform very poorly in mud (from what the review found)

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I ran a set of 31.50s on my BB for over 4 years on the beach using a set of Michelin ATs. They were Awesome! I pulled out so many folks. I've since got 32.50 MT MTXs. they dig in a bit more, but have good sidewall flex, still great in the sand. Now, i on my EB, I run 35" General MTs - I can feel them sink in the sand alot more, but I still deflate and all is good.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I disagree with whoever said mud tires suck in the sand. I've been running BFG mud terrains for years and do a lot of sand running. Air them down and they work great in the sand. Of course just about any tire needs to be aired down to work any good in the sand, even ATs.

The last time we went to Pismo one of our guys had a set of Baja Claws. He did OK with them in the dunes once he got them aired down properly. He wheels a lot on all kinds of terrain, from Moab to the Rubicon to the deserts here in So Cal. He's been pretty happy with them but he says they don't grip so well on side hills.

I agree the Xs and the Claws do look pretty cool. But I don't like directionals. I don't want to have to dismount the tire off of the rim in order to swap it from one side of the Bronco to the other. And if you need to put the spare on, your chances are 50-50 that you'll have to take it back off and turn it around once you get home.

Dusty

OP
OP
L

lala

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Hey thanx for all the input everyone.

I think i'll prolly go with the claws and carefully avoid the side hills(off camber) situations. Iusually attack life head on anyway. Plus I like the beefier sidewall tread for grip. Not that it would matter much with the open difs. Oh well at least they do look cooler than the rest for the price.

Loc.
Salt Lake City
Just before you go buy your tires...that buy 3 get one free. Dont do it, its cheaper to go to les schwab and buy them. I almost fell for that. But priced them out first.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Yup, usually when there is a 4 for 3 offer (tires or shocks) the listed price is inflated so that there isn't much real savings. Same goes for most "free shipping" offers.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
If you are looking at the buy 3 get 1 free deal, go to Summit. They also offer the deal and way less on shipping.

Bucmaster

Les Schwab was over $200 more for the set of 4 than the buy 3 get one free for me. And they don't give free rebalances anymore.