• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clean Oil Change

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I got tired of getting oil all over the garage floor when changing the oil on my 76. You know the problem: you unscrew the filter, and oil pours down on the tie rod, drag link, and various other stuff. It then runs out in every direction and misses the oil pan. Now most of you guys are not whipped like me, and your wife never even mentions the oil you track into the house. Your lucky and I am not. So here is the way I have solved this problem:

1. First I put a piece of sheet plastic under the whole front end of the truck.
2. Drain the engine pan and replace the sump plug.
3. Reposition the the oil pan under the filter.
4. Get a plastic funnel that is about 4" diameter and work it up under the filter. You will need a funnel that is flexible, so you can bend it to fit through the tight places.
5. Connect a 1 foot length of plastic tubing to the funnel and postion the other end over the oil pan. 3/4" ID worked for me.
6. From the top, loosen the filter so you can just turn it by hand.
7. Use a nail or awl and a hammer and punch a small hole in the corner of the filter.
8. Slowly turn the filter until oil starts draining out of the filter into the funnel.
9. Go have a beer and let it drain for a while.
10. You should be able to finnish the job without a big mess.

I know this is not real creative, but it worked for me. If anyone has another way of changing the oil lets hear about it.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Good idea. My 05 ranger has a funnel around where the filter screws into the engine. So when you loosen it the oil goes into the funnel so it doesn't make a mess.

Case

you could try punching a hole in the lowest part of your filter and letting the oil drain out that way. i do agree that the placement of some vehicles oil filters leaves alot to be desired.
one plus about my 04 PSD is the oil filter being on top of the engine makes it very easy to replace. http://www.fumotousa.com/faq.htm i also installed one of these. makes it alot less messy, no more oil splatter when draining the oil pan.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going to a remote oil filter to eliminate that junk. I have always hated that design. BI

mrw

Loc.
MassHole
I like the remote oil filter thing, until I do that I throw an old towel over the steering rods and axle and let 'er drip.