• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what do you use to clean up oil stains on the garage floor?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I spiiled a bunch of oil on fresh concrete. After cleaning it up i poured bleach all over the stain. In the morning I mopped up the bleach and stain was gone.

JSBX

Contributor
Might try some oven cleaner. I have used it to clean really grimy parts. Wear gloves and have plenty of ventilation.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Might try some oven cleaner. I have used it to clean really grimy parts. Wear gloves and have plenty of ventilation.

I wouldn't try that. Concrete doesn't like huge swings in PH. concrete will never be the same again.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use Oil Eater. I get it at Costco and it seems to work pretty well.

I also pre-spray under the hood if I am going to rinse it with the garden hose and it helps lift the crud off most parts.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
My paste of many detergents and pressure washer removed everything from the surface but the stains are still there. I'm going to snag some cat litter from my mom and try that as well. I never knew I was supposed to grind it in, I always put it over the stain and swept it up later. I have googled and found plenty of products that are supposed to work great but I'm not very excited about ordering something if I can use something I can find locally.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Orange degresser from Home Depot. Pour on, let it sit for 20 min, then soak up with paper towels. Repeat. If you don't soak it up, the oil just stays.

Tom Hartz

Paint thinner, scrub with a brush then hose it. I have been in the same house for 22 years and I don't have one stain in the driveway. We have had some leakers.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
my oil stains are on the cardboard that is placed between the drip and the concrete.

get some Super Purple at the auto parts store.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I use Oil Eater. I get it at Costco and it seems to work pretty well.

I also pre-spray under the hood if I am going to rinse it with the garden hose and it helps lift the crud off most parts.

I remember hearing that the Oil Eater product will keep working. In other words, many of the mentioned products can only do so much. If you clean off the Oil Eater and there is still a stain just re-appply and try again. Once the other products have done their thing they're pretty much done. Oil Eater has the potential to get up old stains or stains other stuff couldn't get.

remi1566

Don't waste your money on expensive cleaners that don't work

cheapest thing to clean concrete BLEACH-I used the Purple degreaser from auto zone on the floor inside the garage because it is covered with Epoxy but cleaned my driveway outside with plain old cheap bleach and my patio and it worked great...

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Smart and Final sells a degreaser in a bleach style bottle with a red label. That stuff works great.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Shaving cream works sometimes.

Dawn dish washing soap or any emulsifying soap, clean it once to get the crap off, then let it soak, hose it off, repeat.

mattt

Bronco Guru
brake cleaner and/or sawdust. Saw dust seems to work pretty good in my experience. I keep a 5 gallon bucket of saw dust in the shop for this purpose. Any time wood is being cut for something, the bucket gets filled.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
TIDE detergent, grind it in as best you can. A "set" stain is always tough to get out of the concrete.