• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cleanest and most reliable alternator and ignition set up

Jluc22

i am in the process of a complete frame off restoration of a 77. What is the most reliable and cleanest (as far as wiring) alternator and ignition set up to go back with. I am putting the stock 302 back in it.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The ford 4g one wire alternator and a pertronics conversion in a stock distributor is about as clean as it gets. Unless you go the HEI route The HEI distributors eliminate the external coil but they are big and require a body lift or modifications to the hood.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you do the full Explorer swap, the 4G is part of that package.
If just doing V-belt, 90A small case 3G is really nice. Little less belt drag than the go to 130A, so better chance of not squealing the belt. '92 Aerostar 3.0 and just swap your V-belt pulley on. The adjuster bolt needs to be metric. All internally regulated. Swaitched ignition power to wake it up and a feed to the battery. One more "sense" wire for the regulator to look at actual battery voltage. Done.

All the affordable HEI GM based conversion alternators are junk. Well known for failing. Only good one is a Davis DUI, the real one, not a knock off. Personally I am not a fan of them.
My latest go to is keep the points, delete the condenser, use an early 90's Ford remote TFI module from a truck with matching E-core coil. Simple points trigger, reliable remote TFI, reliable big spark E-core coil
https://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/FORD TFI electronic ignition.pdf
Found it while looking up hot motorcycle ignition systems. My boat loves it.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Cleanest would be a true one wire.

Mine literally only has the wire from the battery to the alt and a marine terminal fuse at the battery.

Does not get any cleaner.

I used Powermaster.

This one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-477871

Not right for you but if you want to look. It's a modified 4g alt. The connector socket is epoxied as nothing goes there.

Pretty.

Happy to snap a pic if you don't see a good one on my thread.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I’m out there now so here’s a pic.
IMG_8544.jpeg
Ground is from the bracket (that you need to make sure is clean with no paint on either side).