• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cleaning Out A Gas Tank

mo-bronco

I'm getting ready to replace the float etc in my gas tank. While I have it down, I'd like to have the tank cleaned out. I just called a place here in town and they want $65-$70. That sounds pretty expensive. Anybody ever clean their own out before? If so, what did you use? Should I just go ahead and take it to them? I'm not a tight wad, but I'd hate to spend money when I don't have to.

nhopman

If the tank isn't too bad and not in need of a re-seal. Then I'd take a piece of heavy chain, 6-8" is plenty, and rattle it around inside to knock loose any debris (some say to use rocks, but it's easier removing a piece of chain than a bunch of rocks) then just vacuum the loose stuff out with a shop vac and call it done.

Nick

VT_Don

You have three options for a clean tank.
1. Redi Strip can dip in sodium cynide. Used for classic car restoration.
2. Mount to a cement mixer, add tumbling media, then rotate for few hours.
3. Buy a new tank and don't screw around when you could be using your time to earn money elsewhere.

72 Beater

I just recently did this w/ my stock tank (it was nasty) What worked for me was to go down to Home Depot ( or any pool supply) Get some muratic acid , Make a little STEEL disc (not aluminum, ask me how I know aluminum wont work ) the size of your sender, install it w/ the old seal, and maybe some silicone for insurance.

Now put your tank on its side, so the filler neck is pointing straight up fill the tank w/ water , and pour the acid on top (never the other way around). Just let the tank sit like that until the acid has done its job, empty the tank, take out the metal sender blank out disc, stick a pressure washer in the hole and blast out the remaining loose junk, let dry in hot sun and reinstall. If your not putting gas in it for a while, put a little oil or something in there and slosh it around to coat the inside to prevent flash rusting. Worked great for me and I really didnt spend much time on it. I just let it sit there while I worked on other stuff and let the acid do the work!

gclauson

Contributor
Eastwood kit

I used the gas tank cleaning/sealing kit from Eastwood. You have to buy muriatic acid and acetone locally; the kit provides some other cleaner and a plastic sealer that coats the inside of the tank to prevent rust from forming again. Seemed to work well, but probably ends up costing more than $60.