• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cleaning out fuel filler necks?

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
both are really rusty, and nasty, i was thinking of having them sent out to be dipped in an acid bath and then galvanized? has anyone done this before? or have any other ideas for fixing these up?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You could use a product like OSPHO. It converts the rust to a protective coating. Works great on fence posts. I'm afraid too much labor cost would put the cost over new ones.

redtail

I cleaned mine out with a screw driver and then used the POR-15 system to coat it. seems like good stuff (and is for use with fuel).

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I had mine cad. plated,zinc is also a way to go. When they plate it they run it though a pickling solution first that strips everything including lite rust.

When they do the plating it comes out silver or you can opp for the gold does a good job.

The biggest problem is you not even close to the minimun charge.

OP
OP
bluebronco69

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
i was thinking of cad plating too. i was hoping if i call some of the vendors we use at work, they might do me a favor since we do a lot of business with them, and they could run my stuff through. we will see what they say.

OP
OP
bluebronco69

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
im not having much luck on the phone this morning....

if i got these stripped at a radiator shop, is there anything i could spray on myself that might hold up? besides POR gas tank sealer... kinda expensive for the amount i would need

OP
OP
bluebronco69

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
i called around more today, i am going to be well under the minimum for orders at plating shops and galvanizing shops. any ideas?

still need to check with the local radiator shop...

is the inside of the tube just not a concern and i am over thinking it?

OP
OP
bluebronco69

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
soooo i dunno what to do. shot down by two local places today, neither had hot tanks... one guy didnt think that would be the best way. he suggested sand blasting and muratic acid...

thoughts?