• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clicking noise when trying to start. (again)

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
It has done this before but I thought that I fixed it. I had it running and it got up to operating temp to<br>adjust the idle. I turned off waited about 15 min. I was looking at the wires for the ignition amplifier.<br>I'm thinging of pulling the amp out. Anyway, I go to start it back up and nothing but a loud clicking<br>noise coming from the starter relay. The last time it did this I replaced the relay and put terminals<br>on the two little wires that connect to the small post on the relay. Now it is doing it again and I'm lost.<br>All voltage seems to be correct. All connections are good. I just don't where else too look. <br>Thanks.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
could be a cable that supplies juice to the starter is either loose, partially broken, or corroded inside. or, the bushings in the ends of the starter are worn out, and when it got warmed up it would not make contact internally anymore. Maybe when you were messin around with it before you moved the cables enough to make better contact.

OP
OP
T

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
The starter is 1 1/2 yrs the cables are new and the engine is not frozen. The battery is new also and
the connections are good.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
use a jumper cable and bypass the solinoid. If it starts then its the noid...

hackyrat

Try jump starting with another battery. If this works the battery may not be getting charged. Are your lights nice and bright? Check the alternator belt to see if it is loose. Then check the alternator. A volt meter on battery with engine at rest should be around 12 volts. When engine running voltage should be around 14 volts. Or take it off and have a capacity check done on alternator.

OP
OP
T

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
Just to let ya'll know that when I closed the hood, it <br>started. A few minutes later after I picked up my tools <br>it gave me the same clicking noise. The noise is from the <br>relay. The relay is not old. The battery still has a good<br>charge. I know it has to be a short but I don't have the extra help to find it. I'll probably send it to the shop and have someone with more experience handle this. I'm not real good with electrical systems. Or I could get out my pistol and put it down.....<br> Thanks for the help.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I agree, I don't think the battery is getting a good charge. Although, I'd try the solenoid first. <br><br>snake

OP
OP
T

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
I guess its time for an alternator upgrade. Any suggestions from where I should pull one from. I'll do this and swap out the solenoid. I've got plenty of salvage yards to check out. Thanks again.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Before you spend any money... Disconnect the cable from the starter and check the copper stud. If it's loose try and tighten it. If it won't tighten get another starter.<br>If your starter cable is routed close to the exhaust where it can get hot, re-route it. If you have headers, you may even need to wrap the cable with some heat shield material.<br><br>If you have to replace the starter, buy a new starter cable also, 1ga. preferrable or 2ga. is good too. Most parts houses will give you a heavy gauge cable if you ask for a 6-volt cable. 6-volt systems need thicker cables to have the ability to carry more amperage. I don't have the time to get into why auto Mfr.'s don't install thick cables in the first place, they just don't. Heavy gauge cables simply just work better. <br><br>Just some of the many benefits of using 1ga. and 2ga. battery and starter cables on 12 volt systems.<br>1) Faster cranking, even when battery is low.<br>2) Longer starter life.<br>3) Quicker starts.<br>4) Less battery drain on start-up.<br><br>Just some things to consider...<br><br>BH