• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Clocking" a Dana 20 to an AX15

mebco09

Does anyone have a guideline for where the Dana 20 should end up in relationship to "level" I have mine in (AX15 conversion) and it seems I have multiple problems-

1. Shifter for TC is going to be in the way of shifter bosses in the AX15.
2. TC is awfully close to the Xmember. I've had to grind out a little of the trans mount to get it to fit.

I am thinking that I have the adapter clocked too far counter-clockwise.

What is the proper way to line it up? The AA adapter has far too many holes to make this easy.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• TC.jpg
    TC.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 148

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't see it all that well in the pic, but is there a way to just put it in the original position? I would think so, but have not installed mine yet.
Anything but stock and you're going to have issues with shifters and driveshafts unless you're re-designing the entire chassis around it I would think.

Maybe there is more leeway than I'm giving it credit for, and I know in the past I've heard of people clocking theirs to different positions, but if stock is an option, then that's the one I'd choose.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mebco09

I watched the tutorial on youtube that Jim did a couple of years ago. It appears that when he was done, the TC was "flatter" in the chassis. He mentions putting the AA adapter on using a mark on the adapter to match the top position of the TC with the top of the AX15. I thought I did it right, but my TC is hanging lower, and I don't think it is going to work.

Here is Jim's install:

https://youtu.be/BQSqbkIGyp0?t=1008

And a zoomed in photo of mine (I think).

Attachments

• tc3.jpg
    tc3.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 97

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mebco09 - I have Twin-Sticks installed on my AX-15 / D20. I think this is the "Stock" Position.

Your's looks about right?

Here is what mine looked like prior to install.

This is a T-Shift Transfer Case. The Twin-Stick mount kind of wraps around the AX-15 shifter base and Bolts down. Then the small links go to the D20 shifter rails. Mount the shifters and see where you are and if easy to mount to D20.

The Crossmember as you know is not flat across the bottom. The is actually more room, lower, on the passenger side for the exhaust. Make sure it is oriented correctly.

I'll post some more pictures if you need them.

Attachments

• AX-15.jpg
    AX-15.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mebco09

mebco09 - I have Twin-Sticks installed on my AX-15 / D20. I think this is the "Stock" Position.

Your's looks about right?

Here is what mine looked like prior to install.

This is a T-Shift Transfer Case. The Twin-Stick mount kind of wraps around the AX-15 shifter base and Bolts down. Then the small links go to the D20 shifter rails. Mount the shifters and see where you are and if easy to mount to D20.

The Crossmember as you know is not flat across the bottom. The is actually more room, lower, on the passenger side for the exhaust. Make sure it is oriented correctly.

I'll post some more pictures if you need them.

Thanks for the reply-

Mine looks about like yours and I have a lot of clearance issues. I have ground on my mount, and the bracket as well to get the TC to fit. I think I might have a different crossmember, as it looks like AA might have done some modifications. My crossmember is flat across the bottom.

Here is a picture of where I am thinking I am going to have trouble down the road- its not touching the crossmember, but it is close. The only other thought is that I have the crossmember in backwards, but I don't think it works the other way-the mount will be too far forward.

Also, if you look at the shifter boss at the top of the photo, I think I am going to get interference with the shifter bracket and the TC shifter.

I have a twin stick shifter and this is a t-case as well.

I was going to move the whole drivetrain back around 1/2 inch to clearance from the crossmember, but rotating the TC would eliminate that.

Attachments

• TC4.jpg
    TC4.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 97

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine was installed previously in a Bronco and fit great. However, looking at both of ours, which I think are clocked the same, the Transfer Case top is sloped more than Jim had in the video. His looked flat across the top of the T-Case and Not clocked as far Counterclock wise.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
View attachment 508447

View attachment 508448

Here is a picture that is a bit easier to see, and the instructions.

The stock clocking position is when the tag on the back of the case is level with the ground.

The last AA AX-15 kit I installed was spot-on, no modifications required.

If you have any questions please contact us?

Jon

OP
OP
M

mebco09

View attachment 508447

View attachment 508448

Here is a picture that is a bit easier to see, and the instructions.

The stock clocking position is when the tag on the back of the case is level with the ground.

The last AA AX-15 kit I installed was spot-on, no modifications required.

If you have any questions please contact us?

Jon

Thanks for the reply. I can't get the photos to open though. I think my tag on the TC is level to the ground, which is what is throwing me off.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Mine fit like a glove.

Attachments

• ax15a.jpg
    ax15a.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 103
  • AX15.jpg
    AX15.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 82

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the advice from Jon at JB Fab, the way mine is clocked in the picture, the Transfer Case Tag on the back is level. I had to go to the shop and double check.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Ok, so mine is level also. I think the whole drivetrain is too far forward. How much clearance should I have from the crossmember and the body of the transfercase. I have 1/8", maybe.

One more question- The crossmember has a boxed and welded notch on the driver's side, right about where the output shaft sits. Is this the correct alignment? Just making sure I don't have that in backwards.

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_164644344.jpg
    IMG_20200916_164644344.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200916_164700382.jpg
    IMG_20200916_164700382.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'll try that again....

Attachments

• EB20T TYPE 5 installation.pdf
    155.5 KB · Views: 27
  • EB20TT5 JB Custom Fab.jpg
    EB20TT5 JB Custom Fab.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 41

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mebco09 - You have a different Crossmember than I do. (I have the same one as Jim in the video) But, yes the cut out should be for where the transfer Case hangs down.

I would also install the yoke you are going to use for the front. The output shaft to the front looks pretty tight to the Crossmember???

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow again and compare what you have.

Last edited:

Authorizedcc

I watched the tutorial on youtube that Jim did a couple of years ago. It appears that when he was done, the TC was "flatter" in the chassis. He mentions putting the AA adapter on using a mark on the adapter to match the top position of the TC with the top of the AX15. I thought I did it right, but my TC is hanging lower, and I don't think it is going to work.

Here is Jim's install:

https://youtu.be/BQSqbkIGyp0?t=1008

And a zoomed in photo of mine (I think).

Looks right to me. I came up with a few new words when I was doing mine.