• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clocking Dana 20 Higher

madcrzydrmr

Did a search and came up empty... Google too. Anybody opt to do so and any real advantage to doing this? Hopefully reassembling the NV3550 conversion next week or so and I see it talked about, but no examples.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Easy to do but you have some factors that limit max clocking/height- as you probably know already.

Suspension lift- if you have up to 3 1/2" then you have some ability to raise it some, if you have a 5 1/2" susp lift your DS angles are probably already maxed out.

Frt and rear driveshaft angles- briefly mentioned above. You typically can't go over appr 30deg DS angle w/o some grinding inside the CV joint for clearance. Then you only gain a degree or two. Different size joints make a difference also. 1310, 1350, 1410 (most common)

If you have more suspension travel than stock this limits the height you can raise the Tcase also.

Different drivetrain lengths can affect DS angles also. ZF compared to a stock 3 spd example

Stretched wheel base helps also.

Ground clearance is the most typical reason for raising it...many have to lower the case some so they won't max out the CV/Ujoints in their DS's frt/rear

Then just bumping into the floorboards is the limit...unless you cut the floor.

Lot's of options...do what works for you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And shifters... With the stock type shifter it's going to clock with the transfer case and come through the floor in a very strange way.
A custom setup can be fabbed up probably, and maybe a twin stick is set up to be more easily modified than the stock one.
But it's a big thing to consider.

Are you actually going to four-wheel your Bronco? Serious trails and hard rock stuff? If not, then I say don't even bother with the clocking. If a little concerned anyway, just make a nicer skid plate.
I'm not against gaining more ground clearance. Just that unless you really need to, it's potentially a lot of work.

Paul

OP
OP
madcrzydrmr

madcrzydrmr

Thank you very much. Very informative!

Yes I 4 wheel with my Bronco. Have done some relatively difficult stuff with stock 3 speed, open 3.50 gears and manual drums (Miller/Lockwood). After a decade plus, I’m finally able to start cobbling together all the under-the-body updates I’ve been wanting to do. My driving with the rig is street with emphasis on trails. 5 speed so I can drive it long distances to my spots I like now that I have 4.88’s. I’m gonna leave in the stock position after reading above.

Cheers!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I thought there were lube issues if you clock the dana 20 much. I was looking into the cold duck swap and remember some extra work to keep everything lubed correctly.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think there is too much other stuff to hit long before the transfer case to worry about clocking the dana 20. I would get rid of the stock skid plate and build one up high and tight to the transfer case that can support the truck if you land on it. more like the aftermarket jeep belly pans.