• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clunk in brake pedal?

Ict57

Just replaced the non-power master cylinder on my 75 with drums all around, hoping it would fix the issue (but m/c was also dead).

Anyway I feel a solid clunk when pressing brake pedal, very noticeable. It doesn’t happen when stopped. More apparent when hitting pedal hard vs soft.

Any ideas? Thanks.

sub3

Did you flush/bleed the system?
Turn the drums?
Install new springs?
New wheel cylinders?

OP
OP
I

Ict57

No. Allegedly had a brake job (less mc) shortly before I bought it. Figured I’d see if any suggestions before going that route.

JSBX

Contributor
Could be a brake drum out of round or a spring may have broke or come lose from a brake shoe. I would jack up one tire at a time and turn the tire to see if I could feel something or get some one to stab the brakes while you turn a tire. Might get lucky and find out which one it is. If this don't work time to pull the brake drums for inspection. Or like what Slowleak said.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Do you feel it in the whole truck or just the pedal? I was getting a clunk in my brake or clutch pedal a long while back and it was under the dash. A bushing or something came loose

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of the above and then some...
Since it had (supposedly) a brake job done before you bought it, it would STILL behoove you to check it out. Not only are Bronco PO's known for being completely dishonest, but think up new ways to cheap on, and cheat on their buyers as well.
Except for those members here that sell their Broncos that is...;):cool:
I think we make great PO's myself, but we've seen more horror stories in the last five years than we should see in a whole lifetime.

Even if they did do as advertised, old vehicles are often worked on improperly even by professional mechanics because they don't know the little idiosyncrasies of these old rigs.
A common theme, and consistent with your noise, might be wheel bearings coming loose. Seen it many times, where even the pro mechanic did not have the proper hub/bearing nut socket and used the old "hammer-and-screwdriver" method of adjusting and torquing the nuts. And that ain't never gonna work.
Didn't work in the sixties and seventies, and it's not going to work now unless they substitute a mig welder for the screwdriver and hammer!

So it says to me that you should be checking all of the above.
Yes, it could be a master cylinder. But I don't think I've ever heard of a clunking master.
Could be the brake pedal cracking (well worth finding sooner rather than later!)
Could be the pedal pivot point.
Could be the pedal rod wearing out, or the switch and bushing having worn out or worked loose.
Could be ball joints.
Could be anything in the brakes as others mentioned.
Could be the wheel bearings as stated too.
Could be the coil springs in their buckets (rare on Broncos, but not unheard of)
Could be the radius arm bushings wearing out.
Could be the trackbar bushings (usually don't make noise though)
Could be the trackbar mounts.
Could be body mounts.
Could be a rusty cowl or firewall area letting the panel flex and creak when you hit the brakes.
Could probably be other things not thought of just yet.

One way to tell if it's anything like wheel bearings or other steering/suspension components would be to perform "the test" we talk about a lot here. Where a helper racks the wheel back and forth while you watch all the stuff underneath.
You've probably seen the details described, but if not let us know and we can walk you through the steps.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Answer was simple, half the brake shoe was gone and wheel cylinder was barely there. Replacing bearings and doing a brake job. Planned this anyway just hoped to finish another project first.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you found it quickly. Don't want no darn brake clunks hanging over your head!

Paul