• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch and shift linkage help?

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
So I am finishing up my 1" body lift and have a question about the column linkage. I know the linkage goes to the transmission but I am not sure "which is which and what is what"

1. Can you tell me what #1 is
2. Can you tell me what #2 is
3. One of the retaining clips broke when I was removing it before my lift, where can I get a new one? What size?
4. I only installed a 1" body lift but it looks like the link arm #1 is going to be too short. Is that "normal" with only a 1" lift. Right now I can fire it up but It it will not go in reverse because the arm isn't long enough. It looks like I can add a little length by unscrewing the other end but I don't think it will be enough.
5. What is the "push pin"(circled #3)

Thanks,
Houston

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 95

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
1 & 2 are the shift arms for the transmission. I forget which is which, but one controls 1st gear and Reverse, the other controls 2nd and 3rd gears.

Get the clip here:

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Shift_Linkage_Retainer/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts

At the transmission side you should have about an inch of threads to adjust the length of the linkage. With just a 1" body lift, you should have enough adjustment to fix the binding.

#3 The push button is your reverse light switch. It should be adjusted so the reverse shift arm depresses the plunger when the Bronco is shifted into reverse. When it's depressed, your back up lights should come on.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Happy 4th! Ok. Still working on this issue. I broke one of the linkage rod when I was trying to unscrew the connector. Couple questions.

1. What position does the shifter arm need to be in when in reverse? When mine is all the way up its at about 12:30. Anybody got a picture of theirs in reverse? See picture 1

2. In the engine bay, i assume the link arm closest to the fire wall is for reverse/first gear? See picture 2.

3. Who sells the linkage rod that I broke? Picture 3 and it's the linkage rod towards the from of the bronco.

4. I can freely shift in and out of gear with out engaging the clutch pedal so I assume that means my clutch is already engaged and it will need to be lengthened because of the 1"body lift?

Before I broke the linkage rod, I was having a hard time figuring out which position the linkage arms should be in. When the one closest to the fire wall is up, where should the other arm be?

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 26

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1. Can you tell me what #1 is
- First/Reverse rod.
2. Can you tell me what #2 is
- 2nd/3rd rod.
4. I only installed a 1" body lift but it looks like the link arm #1 is going to be too short. Is that "normal" with only a 1" lift.
Yes and no. "normal" assumes that Broncos are consistent, which they are not.
About 60% get away with what they have. But the other 40% need to buy a longer rod, or modify their existing stuff.
Same for stuff like the fan shroud and shift linkages. Some of us get lucky and don't have to tweak anything. Others, not so much...
We sell a longer clutch rod from the pedal, in case your adjustment isn't enough and you don't want to fab up a new longer one.
Right now I can fire it up but It it will not go in reverse because the arm isn't long enough. It looks like I can add a little length by unscrewing the other end but I don't think it will be enough.
- try it anyway, but you might not have enough. As said, with the 1" you "should" be able to make it all work, but not always.
1. What position does the shifter arm need to be in when in reverse? When mine is all the way up its at about 12:30.
You won't know while things are disconnected at the transmission. Your column shifter is capable of going that high, but once things are connected and shifting normally, your shift lever will likely stop more in the 1:30-2 o'clock position.
Here again, many Broncos are different. When I bought my '71 I noticed right away that the shift throw was lower on the column than on most of my friend's EB's. Shifted nicely and had a reasonably short throw. Never bothered to find out why they were different. I just knew I was happy that I didn't have to practically go past 12 on the way to 11 to get it into reverse!
So yes, yours looks normal for a disconnected one. Check it again when things are connected.
2. In the engine bay, i assume the link arm closest to the fire wall is for reverse/first gear? See picture 2.
Yep
3. Who sells the linkage rod that I broke? Picture 3 and it's the linkage rod towards the from of the bronco.
Not sure. But I have seen reproductions recently I thought. Just looked on Jeff's and Tom's sites (and ours too of course!) but did not see them. You might have to verify it's position when installed, mark it and have someone weld it back together.
4. I can freely shift in and out of gear with out engaging the clutch pedal so I assume that means my clutch is already engaged and it will need to be lengthened because of the 1"body lift?
sounds correct. Only way to know for sure though is to test and make sure.
Before I broke the linkage rod, I was having a hard time figuring out which position the linkage arms should be in. When the one closest to the fire wall is up, where should the other arm be?
In the middle. Always in the middle for neutral or you'll have trouble shifting. In that linked article there is that tube thingy for aligning the two levers in neutral so you can align your shifters. Do you have that item on your column?

Good luck.

Paul