• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

clutch linkage broke…3 speed shifter bad?

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Pulling onto main road, went to shift to first pushed in clutch and bam….
after looking it over it turns out the clutch pedal linkage rod broke at top near pedal. I replaced the rod however there is more to it. After fooling with it I can get 1st and reverse to work.

I removed both rods from transmission and I still can not get in the shifter to move into 2nd or 3rd… (possibly second but definitely not third)
I do not believe the shift rods are bent… How do I know if the shifter it self is broke. I have removed the shifter and can investigate on bench.

Thanks,

-Ed

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It's possible something bent when the clutch rod broke. Can you get a screwdriver or drill bit thru the alignment hole on the shifter? I would try that and start fromt there. Motor or tranny mount loose causing a bind in clutch or shifter linkage?

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
It was still tightly mounted…
Would the alignment hole be the large hole/ and sleeve that goes through the main or center part of the shifter? if so than the answer is yes… There is a bolt directly through center, I did remove the bolt that went directly through the middle. It will slide easily in/out. This is a hurst 3 speed shifter.

The tabs on the bottom which the rods attach. When nothing is attached should these move freely or move with a little force?

i AM NOT SURE IF THIS WOULD MAKE SENSE OR HELP…
One tab r/1 moves the other will not move.
I am not sure if the shifter would have to be moved to the 2/3 position in order for this tab to move similar to r/1

Also I bought this shifter used about 2 years ago. The bolt was through the center when purchased. I see in pics of a new shifter, a bolt does not go through center
Could this have been a quick fix for something that was broke?

Thanks,

-ED

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I now have learned that the alignment holes are actually in the tabs just above where the linkage mounts… Yes it is possible to slip a pin through both holes…

I am going to pull a few pieces off to see If I can see any damage internally.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So when you put the one lever that does move into it's center position (neutral) the other one still does not move, like it's jammed up? This is for the ones on the side of the transmission we're talking about, right?

Not unusual for one to jam up from it trying to shift before the other one has reached neutral, but it is unusual for it not to just pop back into it's own neutral position after a bit of fiddling.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I degreased the shifter and took another look. The center pin (pin with spring) was all the way out preventing the shifter to move. When moving the shifter I could not get the pin to move in and out. I was able to pry the pin that was under the spring weight and then move the tab. I am not sure if there was junk prevent the pin/spring to work freely. However now that all is cleaned I can move the shifter and get it to move to both sides r/1 and 2/3 I will put the other pieces back on and grease it up real good and reinstall to see what I get.

I did look to see if there was any signs of damage (broken spring,etc…) but did not see anything. It is now moving freely again, it was not doing that before I took it apart.

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Well it may be worse than thought… I think my transmission my have caused the original issue now…
If I just try to switch gears on the transmission 2 to 3 etc… I can not get this to move.
I mounted rectangular plate and tried with large wrench for leverage and it will not move.

I can move the the r/1 on transmission to each position easily. Any ideas?

Thanks,

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
When trying to move the 2/3 lever is the R/1 lever in it's neutral position? It has to be for the interlock system to allow the 2/3 lever to move.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Also, most times you have to spin the transmission shaft to allow the synchros to do their job and get everything to align so it will go into gear.

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
The r/1 was not in neutral position… It moves now.

Thanks… I will go ahead and try installing shifter again ;)

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Well I did get it back together and all is working well. Took it out on a nice drive today!
I 'll clean it up a bit and will join in on the fun on Woodward this weekend.
Thanks for the tips, it helped me get it back together!