• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch linkage Help Please

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Can someone explain to me, or pictures would be great how this system goes together. I bought the bell crank kit from Tom's and I can't figure out how this goes together.

Also, I do not have the parts that are circled in red in one of the pictures. Where am I able to get them? The piece from pedal to rod, and the bushings for the clutch fork rod.

Thanks in advance!

Brock

Attachments

• IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 39256.jpg
    39256.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 74

bronc50

Your engine block appears to be the new style and requires an additional bracket available from all the vendors
This pic kind of shows the bracket for the front bolt
9a2ygepu.jpg

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/EFI_Clutch_Equalizer_Conversion_Bracket

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said BB.
The later engines used hydraulic clutches for the most part. But even when mechanical, they typically had a different setup. So you need to adapt that piece in your second pic to fit. It's a simple piece we all sell. ( http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/EFI_Clutch_Equalizer_Conversion_Bracket )

The part circled in red is another matter entirely though. I could be wrong, but that should be a bar welded to the clutch pedal pivot tube. Part of the pedal in other words.
Not going to be available separately I would not think. Short of buying a new one though, that part is fairly basic and I would think that any competent welder could do it justice with just a piece of 1/4" plate steel. Drill it, weld it, pin it and away you go.
Does it look like there is a busted weld there where it should be?

The bushings and clips on the other hand should be easy.
Here's the bushing at the fork rod ( http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Clutch_Fork_Push_Rod_Bushing ) but I'm not sure if the vendors service the exact clip or not. If not though, you should be able to come up with something semi-generic.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Perfect thank you! It doesn't appear I have anything like that on my clutch pedal, I will probably just get everything else hooked up and like you suggest make my own. Possibly make the adapter for the newer block as well.

Thanks again for the clarification

bronc50

There is a hole on the end of the fork another on the front frame crossmember

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. Or, as in my case, the other hole is on the engine mount tower.
Easy to find if you look. If it's not there, then that's still a convenient place to drill your own.
The spring will "fit" both ways, but you'll see that if you turn it one way it likes to catch on the edge of the mount. Spin it around and it will (mostly) miss.

Paul

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just replaced my clutch fork bushing with a shouldered brass bushing from the hardware store. I had to do some clean up on it but I think it will work real well.

The majority of the supporting vendor websites don't typically break down these small items very well on their websites (except WildHorses - kudos to them) so I think they may be missing some sales (hint hint).

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Maybe you have two brake pedals rather than a clutch and brake pedal? The brake pedal doesn't have the tab on it you're missing.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaveBronco

I just replaced my clutch fork bushing with a shouldered brass bushing from the hardware store. I had to do some clean up on it but I think it will work real well.

This is very good advice, Home Depot/Lowes has many different bushings and the oil impregnated brass type are much better than nylon. I also put one on the rod to the shift fork. Just don’t put one in the pedal side until you're done welding, or you'll un-impregnate all the oil from the bushing.....because that’s what I ended up doing, but bushings are cheap.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I only run one bolt and no clutch return spring - never had an issue. I just get the one bolt really right and I'm running a new diaphram style clutch - no noise.

I have the B.C adapter plate, but you have to drill out the hole in the block, very tough to do with an engine and trans mated up in the truck...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I only run one bolt and no clutch return spring - never had an issue. I just get the one bolt really right and I'm running a new diaphram style clutch - no noise.

I have the B.C adapter plate, but you have to drill out the hole in the block, very tough to do with an engine and trans mated up in the truck...

Without a return spring, how long do your throwout bearings last??:?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

This is very good advice, Home Depot/Lowes has many different bushings and the oil impregnated brass type are much better than nylon. I also put one on the rod to the shift fork. Just don’t put one in the pedal side until you're done welding, or you'll un-impregnate all the oil from the bushing.....because that’s what I ended up doing, but bushings are cheap.

Another option is to use little heim rod ends. They are made in both male and female. I've replaced all my clutch joints with these. They are really smooth and give additional adjustment.http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-/No-112/Ntt-heim+joint

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've got two years on my current tob. They really make that big of a difference?

Oh yea. Even though the bearing won't have pressure on it, it would be spinning all the time. Same as if you were resting your foot on the clutch pedal all the time.