• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coating dash with Duplicolor truck bed liner?

nrramse

I had a random thought and am wondering if its any good. Would Duplicolor truck bed liner be good for coating the dashboard?

Newell

Last edited:

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I've seen similar and I didn't like it. In my opinion the dash looks best either body color or black. On a stocker, the stock Wimbledon White looks ok too.

OP
OP
N

nrramse

I've seen similar and I didn't like it. In my opinion the dash looks best either body color or black. On a stocker, the stock Wimbledon White looks ok too.

Duplicolor truck bed liner comes in black.

Newell

OP
OP
N

nrramse

I think I miss-worded myself. I meant the black vinyl dash pad. I was thinking of filling in the cracks and covering it with truckbed liner, if it will stick.

Newell

Last edited:

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Coating your dash in that crap would be like cooking a filet mignon in a easy-bake-oven.

Seriously? That's really the opinion you want to distribute to the guys on this site? Be supportive.....tell the guy to go for it. Believe me, if it looks like crap and he hates it, he can always get another dash.

I tried it once and used a spray-liner on my dash. Didn't like it, so I pulled it and sandblasted the stuff off and had it powdercoated.

Here's a photo of what mine looked like.

Attachments

• DASH.jpg
    DASH.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
N

nrramse

Thanks for the picture.

I screwed up - I meant dash *pad* instead of dash board. Sadly, I can't figure out how to change the title of the thread.

My dashpad is full of cracks and I was thinking it might come out okay if I filled them and covered it with the Duplicolor truck bed liner. Since the can says its a vinyl coating - I'm thinking it might even be able to look close to original. Like LSUPete says, I can always buy another if I mess up but I was curious if anyone else had tried this.

Newell

DAKOTA7720

Loc.
CASS COUNTY, MN
Sorry I misunderstood your application. I was just trying to save forum members the trouble and cost of scraping and/or sandblasting that stuff off of a metal dash.

shonivey

I have speayed it on a few pads over the years. break all the brittle edges off , fill cracks with "great stuff" foam insulation. clean as best you can and shoot some duplicolor adhesion promoter on it. May do mine before the super celebration If I have the time. but I kinda like the no pad look.

OP
OP
N

nrramse

Shonivy and DW - this is the kind of feedback I was hoping for! Do either of you have pictures?

Thanks, Newell

yak67

Bronco Guru
I used duplicolor bedliner once, it fades real bad and turns a nasty looking greyish color, just FYI, I'm sure the dash pad would get that way too.

shonivey

unfortunately It was many years ago when I was in Cali. at 8 bucks a can you can recoat if it fades , not good for a show rig but beats the hell out of cracks and foam.

OP
OP
N

nrramse

unfortunately It was many years ago when I was in Cali. at 8 bucks a can you can recoat if it fades , not good for a show rig but beats the hell out of cracks and foam.

Did you, or Yak67, have any problems with it sticking? I guess you also recommend the adhesion promotor too?

Newell