• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

coil spring retainers and leaf spring shackles. Strongest?

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

Who makes the strongest coil spring retainer plates (lower plates) and rear leaf spring shackles? I am not going to wheel my 74 very hard, but I would like the peace of mind knowing I am running the strongest I can find. I like the idea of stainless but wouldn't this be weaker?

I am leaning towards the WH rear shackles and coupling them with BCs greasable bolts.

Thanks again,

Brett

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I think you're on the right track. WH lower cups for the front coils, and the heavy duty style shackles for the rear.

Swerve

I recently bought the WH rear Super Shackles. I have not installed them yet. They are very well made.

The original Ford shackles are stamped from one piece of material, and that material is a little thicker than the material used on the WH shackles that are fabbed from multiple pieces.

I would like to know which ones are actually strongest, it seems to me the originals should be.

I did call WH and ask this, but they basically just reassured me that their shackles were very strong with little to no customer complaints...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The WH coil cups hold water.
Stainless would be the way to go so they won't rust.

OP
OP
B

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
are stainless strong enough? Which vendor?

The WH coil cups hold water.
Stainless would be the way to go so they won't rust.

Thanks. They sure look like they will hold water. But aren't stainless cups not as strong? Any thoughts on which vendor has the best or are they all the same?

Thanks much.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The WH cups are zinc plated for corrosion resistance, so far they are holding up great.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.5inch lift 009.jpg
    3.5inch lift 009.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 40

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I love WH but I think I like Duffs cups.
They are welded in 3 or 4 spots around the cup leaving a few gaps that let water drain.
Still love WH, I just think Duffs has them beat here.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I had mine powder coated White, as shown in the pic's above. The powder coat really seals and protects the metal, and being white colored I can easily do a visual inspection to looks for cracks/wear/rust, ect. We learned this trick from engine mounts on airplanes, the White color sure makes it easy for inspections.

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I run the Duff coil retainers on my '68. Living in the wet Pacific Northwest I can say they don't hold water and they're indeed zinc plated for corrosion resistance. However, and this goes for both the WH and Duff HD coil retainers, the retaining lip that holds the coil on both of mine have been compressed during hard cycling of the front suspension and make it a b*tch to remove and reinstall the coil without having to bend it back to shape. I wish that both vendors would have used thicker steel to prevent it from being bent and pinching the coil. Still would highly recommend the HD coil retainers from either vendor, much easier to install than the original setup Ford used.

OP
OP
B

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Ha I do a lot of white too! I was inspired by demo cars such as the JBG chassis. My coils and leaves are powder coated white. When wire wheeled my front clip down to metal I followed up with zinc metal etch, POR 15, the Hardnose whitecoat.

What about having the WH cups plated by my welder around the spring retainer slot?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry that you have to, but yes, drilling holes is what I've recommended for the wetter climes all along.

However, and this goes for both the WH and Duff HD coil retainers, the retaining lip that holds the coil on both of mine have been compressed during hard cycling of the front suspension and make it a b*tch to remove and reinstall the coil without having to bend it back to shape. I wish that both vendors would have used thicker steel to prevent it from being bent and pinching the coil.

Very interesting to hear Krawler. Have you ever called in to mention it, and sent pictures of what you're experiencing? I'm guessing it doesn't happen to everyone, but even once is interesting and I'd like to see it if you have the chance to take some pics.

Thanks

Paul

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have the rear shackles made by Migs and they're very nice,had them powder coated and look great,you should check with him I think he has some left.:cool:

Attachments

• F87DA5EB-3820-4616-A804-BC0EE8DE1F95.jpg
    F87DA5EB-3820-4616-A804-BC0EE8DE1F95.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 23