• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coilover Input Needed

12thMan

Doing a dream build with son. One item on our list was Coilovers & 4Link.
Both are out of my fabrication capabilities. When I priced the job with a trusted builder and friend I was somewhat shocked.

What would you price a Coilover & 4 Link upgrade at given we are already fully disassembled and frame has already been widened?

How high on the priority list is this for you? Is it worth the money?

And and am Input and advice really appreciated.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It all depends on what you're gonna do in the bronco. I could see maybe for dessert racing but for rocks and trails some long arms and maybe a 4-link go pretty far.

cleanportland

Loc.
Sherwood, OR
After the first trip to moab I was real happy with the 4-link and coilovers in the rear. I also moved the rear axle back about 5in. And I did coilovers on the front with extended radius arms.
It flexes great in the rocks, it doesn't unload as fast. And it eats up any bumps when cruising down the gravel roads.
My 4yo daughter did not like the boulder fields before, ("it's too bumpy dad".) We did Coyote Canyon and she loved every bit of it.
I have a lot of tuning to do to make it better, but am very happy so far.

I would guess around 7k for rear with materials, prob 5k for front with shop time, maybe more, especially with stretching it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Frame widened? Where, and to what purpose? Curious because we don't talk about that aspect often (if at all) around here.

A full custom coil-over setup cost might depend greatly on how often your chosen shop has done it, AND which coilover shocks you choose.
You could reach $5,000 bucks in just shocks alone pretty quick, with maybe $1000 to $1500 being at the bottom end? I don't know, because I have not priced them recently.
Do you have a particular brand of shock you're preferring?

And the rest of the stuff, full custom or off-the-shelf? Full custom (where the shop fabricates the custom arms and everything) and I'd say you're into it for a minimum of $20k or so.
If buying a kit-o-parts that they fab together to suit the particular vehicle, I bet the cost is still in the $10k range easy. If not going to exotic on the shocks that is.

The prices range from mild to wild (with "mild" still being more than most Broncos cost a few years ago), with a shop that does them all the time (even if just on Jeeps) probably coming in at less cost than someone that does not.
Or on the flip side of that, someone that does not do them regularly may under-price the job because they're not aware of what they just got themselves into.
On the other flip-side (you know, where the coin stands on it's edge...%)) a shop might quote high because they DO know what they're getting into. And aren't that interested.

Your Bronco being apart may, or may not be helpful to them if they're going to have to make sure all the plumbing and fixtures are going to be compatible with the sheet metal. Most coil-over setups are going to try to share space with at least some of the body work.

What were you quoted, if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck.
Oh, and I'm with Steve. A coil-over 4-link setup is totally not worth it for 99% of Bronco owners.
But for the 1% it's da bomb!;D
Probably some representation of that theory in WH most recent videos of Moab and the Bronco Safari.

Paul

OP
OP

12thMan

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.
I really need to ponder if l’ll get the value out of them or if the cool factor is worth it.

Paul, I was quoted 8K as part of a full build by someone who knows their way around Broncos. Downside is timelines are never a priority.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not bad for that much work at a shop really.

Were you going to go front and rear? Duff has a nice rear-only 4-link kit, but you'd still have to come up with a custom front setup.

You can't argue with cool factor. It definitely skews the bang for the buck equation, but your mind ultimately makes the decision, over your wallet.
And working with your son is priceless!

We'll need pics of course, no matter which route you take. Gotta' see the two of you at work. Maybe get a pic in next year's calendar...;D

Paul

68ford

Bronco Guru
If cool factor is deciding part, you really should think about adding bypass shocks as well. Coilovers are so common now a days, lots of jeeps by me have complete coilover conversions. Unfortunately, 4 coilovers and 4 bypass shocks puts you over 5000 and that's running small diameter for both coilover and bypass.

Also unless you're Rock crawling and need a ton of articulation, I would run coilovers on the front with radius arms. It's like a slightly built in sway bar that's rides just as smooth. If you run coilovers front and rear with 4 links and drive on the street, you will need a front and rear sway bar to be safe. Radius arm front and 4 link rear you can get away with just a rear sway bar