• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cold Duck Dual Transfer case help

1Markman

Loc.
South Bay Area
First let me star by saying my mechanical skills and knowledge are about zero. I have a broblem with my bronco and am looking for some help from you guys.

I have twin sticks, the right side is the High and Low shifter and the left is the 4low, 2Low, 2 high and 4 high shifter.

The problem I am having is that driving down the road at 40mph or so, the transfer case pops out of gear and into nuetral. It does it on the High Low shifter side. I have to pull over, put the transmission in neutral and pull the shifter to get it back in gear. I climbed under the truck and engaded it manually a few times to make sure it was getting all the way in gear.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong. I can only drive 3-5 miles before it pops out again.

Your help is appreciated. Also, anyone recommend someplace to take it to have it looked at in the south San Jose bay area. I live in Hollister.

Thanks

Last edited:

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
If i remember correctly from when you were at hollister you are running a cold duck transfer case set up. Is that right?
What Pattern dana 20 are you running? Is that the one thats popping out?

OP
OP
1Markman

1Markman

Loc.
South Bay Area
yep, thats me. We met out at Hollister Hills. I bought the bronco as it is, so I really dont know much about the set up.

Mark

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I'm not too familiar with the workings of the cold duck set up either. I would put cold duck in your title post to grab the attention of those who do. Now is it the left side stick thats popping out? If so what shift pattern does it move into for the gears? Straight up and down or in a J-pattern?

OP
OP
1Markman

1Markman

Loc.
South Bay Area
I think I understand your question now. The left side is fine. It is a straight up and down pattern, but no issue with that side. It is the right side that is causing the issues and popping out.

I will change my title as well and see what people have to say. Any local shops around here that you would trust your Bronco with?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
No shop off the top of my head i can think of but you might want to giv wild horses a call and see what they have to say since they are very familiar with that set up. Also are you on the Ca yahoo bronco groups list? If so ask there if not i would say join there are tons of people with a pleathora of knowledge on there that would probably know or be able to direct you to a shop.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Is it possible to get 2low with one stick?
I have a j-shift cold duck with a j-shift D20. I have triple sticks: one for the duck and two for the D20. No problems with either of them jumping out of gear. I've heard of people having problems keeping t-shift D20s in 4wd sometimes. Jim of Jim's Bronco Stable is in South San Jose, 85 and Almaden area. I don't know if he has any experience with ducks but he has a lot with Broncos in general and may be able to figure something out. jimsbroncostable@yahoo.com. Otherwise I agree with calling WH because they're the ones who own the rights to the duck.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The front of a Cold Duck setup is just a cut down Dana 20 transfer case. (The only special parts for a Cold Duck are that the right shaft needs to be located for between them and an adapter plate) It sounds like the detents for the shifters are loose. See if the cap itself for the detent springs are loose. If not then get new springs and put them in. If that still doesn't take care of it you may need to pull the shift rail out and replace it. (I doubt it will go that far though)

FWIW, Several years ago I made my own Cold Duck setup for a Scout II I had. I had to make it myself because the Cold Duck is specific to the Bronco Dana 20. The Scout D20's hang on the opposite side.

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
The cold duck is a bronco 20 flipped upside down with the front out put side cut off, If I understand you problem you have high range poping out of gear.
Saddle up is right start with the springs and detent balls, If this does not correct it it's time to open up the T-case, and with a filler gauge check the space between the gear and the shift fork it should be no more then 12000 of an inch of space this is for the Cold Duck and or the main case.
you may also want to double check the mounting bolt's on both the adapter to Cold Duck,and Cold Duck to transfer case.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
hey saddle up. It sounds like a good topic for a tech write up. I liked the cold duck idea but now they aren't available.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
SteveL said:
hey saddle up. It sounds like a good topic for a tech write up. I liked the cold duck idea but now they aren't available.
I've thought about it. Not as an article though but rather to sell them. I personally think the NP203 Doubler is a lot better setup though so I didn't pursue it. (Which is also probably why Wild Horses hasn't done anything recently with them) When I did the one in my Scout I was able to locate a stock Dana 20 shaft that splined in correctly at both the input and output side for between them. I don't recall the exact application for the shaft though and it would be different for the Bronco cases I think. Once I located the shaft it was just a matter of having an adapter made to bolt them together. If I recall right it was about 2" thick. Other than that I had to cut a third of the case off and plate it. Then I had to work out the linkage. As of a couple of years ago my old Scout was rotting in a field somewhere.

FWIW, The Cold Duck setup is actually what gave me the idea. I saw it in an old 4WD magazine when they very first were made. I haven't been able to locate that article again since then however I would like to get my hands on it again to see if there are any treasures to be found there.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Cough it up, Saddle.

I have more than a few D20s laying around.....

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
FWIW, The Cold Duck setup is actually what gave me the idea. I saw it in an old 4WD magazine when they very first were made. I haven't been able to locate that article again since then however I would like to get my hands on it again to see if there are any treasures to be found there.[/QUOTE]

I will have to look around here, that artical was their installation manual for the CD...which pretty much was a copy of a copy of a copy,etc

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Madgyver said:
Cough it up, Saddle.

I have more than a few D20s laying around.....
I sold both of the Dana 20's I had here so I don't even have the cases to work with anymore. If someone close has a couple of extra then I might be willing to work out a deal to put one together for them so I can work through the details.

OP
OP
1Markman

1Markman

Loc.
South Bay Area
Seeing as how I am the guy with the broken Cold Duck, If I cant get someone here to fix it maybe I will just pull it and you can copy it.... I have cash, just no skills... and cant seem to find anyone who will touch it.

Mark

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Cant be that bad! If it can make the hour and half drive to Fremont, ill gladly help ya tear into it. I would drive to you, but my stang is in the shop, and if the broncos going to hollister, its going to wheel.

cw

Your main case is a "T" shift. I have the same problem with it popping out of gear at about 2700 rpm. The case was rebuilt by WH. It worked just fine until I broke my linkage. You might want to check the linkages to see if they are engaging all the way and are not throwing it out of gear. I doubt its the cold duck.

Corey-

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
1Markman said:
Seeing as how I am the guy with the broken Cold Duck, If I cant get someone here to fix it maybe I will just pull it and you can copy it.... I have cash, just no skills... and cant seem to find anyone who will touch it.

Mark
To be honest I would prefer to engineer it myself. That way no one can claim that I just copied it. While Wild Horses isn't selling them it is my understanding that they still hold the rights to it. Really beyond working through the details the only hard part would be figuring out what shaft works (assuming I could use a stock shaft like I did with the Scout). The adapter itself wouldn't be hard to figure out once I had the right shaft. As far as fixing yours I'm sure there is someone closer that can help out if you don't figure it out. Shipping it from there to here and back would get kind of ugly. (I would be happy to look at it but I wouldn't want you to spend money that isn't necessary) I would start with the above suggestion and make sure there isn't something in the linkage causing this. It could be something as simple as a bad motor or tranny mount that is causing the shifter to hit the body.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you just need a new detend spring, then just shim it.
New springs can be bought from JBG, then just shim it with washers.
If you need help, I am about 2 hours from ya, and have fixed lots of these.

SaddleUp - to funny, I have a scout 20 on my floor I am making a doubler for a scout friend.
scout 20's suck.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
welndmn said:
Sounds like you just need a new detend spring, then just shim it.
New springs can be bought from JBG, then just shim it with washers.
If you need help, I am about 2 hours from ya, and have fixed lots of these.

SaddleUp - to funny, I have a scout 20 on my floor I am making a doubler for a scout friend.
scout 20's suck.
We're getting a little off topic but,
For what it was mine was a stump pulling animal. I had a spring over and a built Dodge 413 industrial motor in it which was the torkiest big block Chrysler built. (Something like 500 ft. lbs. of torque) With that and the dual Dana 20's under it though it eventually ripped itself apart. It didn't help that my wife crawled it up a stump and laid it over on it's side hard though. (She bumped a stump with the left tire and used her right foot on the throttle to brace herself) On my last trip out a couple of weeks later I brought it back with chains on all but one of the engine and tranny mounts to hold the motor in it. It also didn't help that I was jumping it on the dunes either though. (The Scout II makes the weight of an EB look light) FWIW, My EB is the third rig I've set up for off road use (Not including the 2 other Scouts I had earlier because they were pretty much kept stock). The first was a CJ5 about 20 years ago, then the Scout II about 10 years ago, and now the EB. All of them did pretty well but my EB outshines both of the others in what it is capable of.