• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Column Wiring: Reverse & Neutral safety wires???

f_stein74

Loc.
Cabot, AR
I've installed a B&M floor shifter and need to connect the reverse and neutral safety switch connections from the shifter back up to the wires coming out of the column.

Can anyone tell me which wire is the reverse and which is the neutral safety wire in the column?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
What year & model is the truck? What trans is in it? Does it have the stock column? ?:? All the neutral safety and rev wiring on an EB goes from the trans through the firewall bulkhead then on to its perspective points from there.

OP
OP
F

f_stein74

Loc.
Cabot, AR
Year is 1974.

Model unknown, but it's not a Sport.

It had the original C4 transmission before I changed out for an AOD in the past 6 months (barely driven so far).

I'll look for loose wires running up from the tranny area through the firewall.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
The back up & neutral safety wires don't go to the column on any year or trans . The auto wires come from behind where the shift rod connects to the trans & there will be a plug about where your throttle linkage is on the firewall . 4 wires , 2 for b/u , 2 for n/s .

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
f_stein74 said:
Year is 1974.

Model unknown, but it's not a Sport.

It had the original C4 transmission before I changed out for an AOD in the past 6 months (barely driven so far).

I'll look for loose wires running up from the tranny area through the firewall.
You already have a switch on your AOD trans, just above the shift lever, it screws in from the top. If it were me, I'd cut off a plug connector from the boneyard and wire up your b/u and neutral circuit to the factory trans switch. Then wire that to the 4 wires coming through the firewall, (i think there is a black pair and a red pair that lead to a square 4-terminal plug) to the right of the master cyl. Doing it this way will be better if your shifter gets out of adjustment you will still have accurate neutral and rev positions on the trans and less chance of your b/u lights coming on when you dont want them to, or even worse, the engine cranking in gear :eek:

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
stevew said:
The back up & neutral safety wires don't go to the column on any year or trans . The auto wires come from behind where the shift rod connects to the trans & there will be a plug about where your throttle linkage is on the firewall . 4 wires , 2 for b/u , 2 for n/s .
I had to ask because on some 70s F-series, and other than EB Ford columns, the NSS/BU switch was mounted to the column. I thought f_stein's question was odd, so I needed to verify what he was working with.