• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Comp Cams Hyd Roller Lifter Noise/Question

OP
OP
c17jack

c17jack

Problem solved. Reset all of my lashes one flat of each nut shy of 1 full turn. About 2-3 degrees shy of 1 full turn and purrs like a kitten.
I think it just reaffirms my hate for comp cams lifters. Having to go 1 full turn basically negates the effect of having a hydraulic lifter in my mind. Seems like it pretty much takes all the cushion out of the lifter. Why not just run a solid lifter. Anyhow rant over... I'm happy now

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Glad you got it figured out!

I'm not sure whether they are supposed to 'cushion' anything, but hydraulic lifters are easier to install and are quieter, at the expense of some compliance in the valvetrain (vs a solid lifter). They need to be tightened enough to make sure the pushrod is captured, but not so much that the valve lifts off the seat when the engine starts.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Problem solved. Reset all of my lashes one flat of each nut shy of 1 full turn. About 2-3 degrees shy of 1 full turn and purrs like a kitten.
I think it just reaffirms my hate for comp cams lifters. Having to go 1 full turn basically negates the effect of having a hydraulic lifter in my mind. Seems like it pretty much takes all the cushion out of the lifter. Why not just run a solid lifter. Anyhow rant over... I'm happy now
i may need to do this adjustment. we at 1/2 turn and it is noisy than what we expected. using double D type CC roller lifters with the hold down tray. also comp cams.
I know that there is a collapsed lifter on #4 exhaust as it released as soon as the lock was loosened. Waiting for a replacement now.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Mmmm, the hydro part has about a .1-.15 movement. So going one turn uses about one thread width, it's still a hydrualic lifter:)

Look here,

https://cranecams.com.au/pdfs/pp1110c.pdf

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
Do you have the proper springs for that cam? If not you will have problems like you have. Including preload problems. Both seat pressure and open pressure is very important with a roller cam.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am assuming you know your stuff and have heard noisy lifters before. But,,,, just in case, how thin is your valve cover? I traced a noisy valve train to simply going from steel to real flimsy thin aluminum covers.