• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Concerns about explorer Swap and Using C4 Transmission

BG's 68 Bronco

i guess the biggest thing I would like to know is there any electrical issues (trouble codes) that will show up by using a C4 transmission w/ a 96 - 98explorer. All accessories and wiring, computer would be used from the donor explorer as well. I know the easiest thing would be to get the explorer transmission at the same time, but the logistics just don't work.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If your using the Exploder eec, I don't see it working without a tweecer and even then I'm not sure that would work. It would be much easier to use a mustang harness and eec. Much less drama, unless you enjoy the drama. I know it's been done, but the owners that I know of are all engineers and enjoy the challenge.

OP
OP
BG's 68 Bronco

BG's 68 Bronco

The mustang harness and eec sound like a good option. I wasn't sure if you could mix and match comps from other vehicles. How much difficulty is there to get it tuned? Can you use all the same sensors that came with the explorer or do you need to use ones from the mustang?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The mustang harness and eec sound like a good option. I wasn't sure if you could mix and match comps from other vehicles. How much difficulty is there to get it tuned? Can you use all the same sensors that came with the explorer or do you need to use ones from the mustang?

The mustang EEC and wiring is definitely the way to go. Most of the explorer sensors are the same with the exception of the MAF and some connectors, like the TPS. Grab the connectors from the explorer harness and you can use those sensors.