• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Concours restoration

Stu7054

So it's time for me to decide on color.

The truck is a '76 and its my understanding that the entire tub is body color.
The engine is blue.
What about the bellhousing, c4trans, D20?

I restored a 65 mustang a few years ago and the concours guys were everywhere. Not so much in the EB world unless its a 66. I haven't been able to find a resource on the subject.

I don't plan on doing a total concours job but want to start with a good foundation.

Any help is appreciated.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I have a '77 that I bought new. There are many parts that are unchanged from the '76s. If you post a few pictures I can help you at least get the majority of the details correct. The C4 was plain aluminum as cast. For reasons no one can articulate '66s and Bajas like House's pictures illustrate, are the only EBs to earn respect for their historic significance, on this sight. Muscle car owners are far better at restorations than EB owners. It's not easy to find pictures of a correct engine compartment for a specific year/engine Bronco, like you can do with Mustangs. The best selection of many OE type parts are at Mustang suppliers.

OP
OP
Stu7054

Stu7054

The link certainly helps. I have red oxide primed the undercarriage but there seems to be questions as to that is correct or only done for a limited time.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I have broncos here from 73 thru 77 and they all have red oxide underneath. When having them stripped, it looks like ford had them red oxide prime red all over then the paint was on what you see etc.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru

As cast bare finish on all 3 of those, with paint markings, different depending on year.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
You should get with drew peroni "broncitis" on here. They have done several very nice restorations that look concourse. His dads roadster won a grand champion or something like that. But he probably would be able to help you

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

As cast bare finish on all 3 of those, with paint markings, different depending on year.

X2. The marking on the bellhousing is very light and will disappear with any kind of harsh cleaner. Top of C4 usually has hand written markings. Haven't seen any markings on the D20, but those are usually covered in the most difficult to remove crud.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bellhousing marking still usually shows up ok after cleaning.

LOL

House

Contributor
Minutia Militia
Let's see some pics!
Maybe we need an Official Factory Markings thread... LOL

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
4c500201af1bc1ea06481fc73f0eca28.jpg
1b91577dad51be8942349f2d62ebf1f8.jpg

4dff46dccdcb92606045752161cacd3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk