• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Connecting an RJM EFI harness speed sensor / stak t case / Dakota Digital Gauge

J Licks

Loc.
Healdsburg
Looking to connect a Stak monster B Box (3 wire VSS output) to an RJM EFI harness (2 wire VSS input ) as well as connect to my new Dakota Digital Gauge. Anyone have any experience with that I could use a little insight/help/advice

TIA

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is what I am doing vs stacking VSS's. Plus it gives you control for tire sizes and speed.

The SGI-5E can split speed signal to multiple outputs, and, if need be, alter the signal for transmission, tire, or gear ratio changes.
You can feed the VSS direct to the SGI-5E, and use two different outputs to feed different devices. In your case OUT1 to the EFI and OUT2 to our dash.
Each output would have the same signal frequency, but are independent of each other, so the signal strength remains.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ct_id=126/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd126.htm

tbratz

I ended going with the Dakota GPS/BIM unit with my set up. I got the unit with sensors off of eBay for cheaper than retail. It hooks right up to the main control unit and reads your speed directly off GPS, regardless of gearing, tire size etc. I also got the sensors with it for out side temp, compass and altimeter. No wires to worry about running the electronic sensor to trans/ transfer case.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ct_id=837/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd837.htm

OP
OP
J

J Licks

Loc.
Healdsburg
That's the same thing the Dakota Tech line gave me. And also sounding like the way to go I just hope it comes with a wiring diagram :)

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You connect the vss directly to the SGI-5E. Then use the outputs, one goes to the gauge and one goes to the efi computer.

OP
OP
J

J Licks

Loc.
Healdsburg
Ordered the SGI-5E this morning. Duffy do you know what type of signal the RJM harness and A9L computer are looking for VSS?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
VSS Signals (Mustangs pre 99)
The VSS signal in the older cars goes to the PCM, the speedometer, odometer and the cruise control unit. Those units all expect an 8000 pulse per mile signal. Changes in tire size and axle ratios will throw that signal rate off. For proper operation, the signal must be corrected with new speedometer gears, and or an electronic signal recalibrator such as a Dallas Mustang Speedcal or an FRPP Recalibrator. We have written a VSS calculator that will calculate the VSS error introduced by your tire size and axle ratio changes, and lets you do what-ifs to see how close you can get to 8000 pulses per mile with different speedometer gear selections.

http://www.accutach.com/general-how-tos/vss-oss-swaps

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ordered the SGI-5E this morning. Duffy do you know what type of signal the RJM harness and A9L computer are looking for VSS?

The Vss sends out 8,000, then both the gauge and the A9L get dual 8,000.