• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling Help

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Motor gets hot rock crawling and in traffic on hot days.

Running a triple pass radiator with shroud and flex fan. Should I put some electric fans in the front of the radiator? Would I just power them with a manual switch? What are some good options?

Will these block flow at speed? Any other options? I may trim my inner fenders and build some kind of air dam on the front.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
which radiator? Electric fan might help. I have a couple of the derale fixed fans on the shelf. They pull more air than the flex fan. I'm bout ready to head out to m&k. I borrowed a plasma cutter for a couple days so time to build some toys.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What are you considering hot? Have you checked or replaced the T stat? what temp of T stat do you run? Pusher fans can block airflow at speed but they may not be much of a issue worst case you could turn them on or just use a temp switch so they come on automatically if needed. Might want to try building a air dam and enusing the radiator is not pulling hot air back through it.
What type of water pump do you run a standard one? you may need a high flow one with a tripple pass radiator as not you hace to force the water through the radiator.
Last suggestion I have at this time would be to wrap the upper sections of the headers unless they are ceramic coated. Wrapping will cut down on the heat in the engine bay a lot and can help cooling.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
which radiator? Electric fan might help. I have a couple of the derale fixed fans on the shelf. They pull more air than the flex fan. I'm bout ready to head out to m&k. I borrowed a plasma cutter for a couple days so time to build some toys.

I just hate the idea of relying on electric only. Maybe throw the flex fan in the spare parts bag lol!

What kinda toys you building? Coming to TDS?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
gonna do the receiver hitches on the wifes bumpers and need some plate to make gussets. Also my friends want some bumpers so looking in the scrap pile over there for good material. Way cheaper by the pound out of the scrap pile than if they have to cut you a piece. They also need floor plates for when we bend up some cages.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Good ideas...

190 Tstat
220 is hot

New standard water pump

Just ordered some wrap. was going to just do the lower header to keep heat off my feet but maybe I need to do the whole thing.

An air dam would just be sheetmetal across the top just inside the grill?

Anyone have pics of trimmed inner fenders or air dams?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you have no issue with overheat while at speed your cooling system is working OK. Your issue is airflow through the radiator. Are you running a 7 blade fan? The stock Ford works very well. another issue is are you setting your Idle too low. With a manual trans you can set the idle low enough to effect cooling. I would look at your waterpump pully set-up and make sure your using as large a crank pully and as small a water pump pully as you can find. This will speed up water flow at idle, pull more air at Idle, and raise alternator output at Idle. The other thing I would look at is your thermostat use a speed shop thermostat. They use to be made by robert shaw with a balenced elongated opening. All brass unit these are much more reactive and fully open at temperature. Auto part store replacements can work Ok or very badly. They seem to be all over the place. You will pay 3 times the price for a good thermostat but they work so much better. Mr Gaskit, summit and Jeggs all have their version. You can pull yours out and suspend it in a pan of water and use a meat thermometer to check the water temperature and see when it cracks open and when its wide open. Also are you running a coolant recovery type overflow bottle that way your radiator is filled to the top and kept full this helps alot not to be aireating your coolant and helps the radiator to work better. The last thing to look at is your pressure cap run a 15 lb cap.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
It's a 7 blade fan that looks offset (two groups of blades 3 and 4) has flexable tips on the rectangle shaped blades. My idle was real low because of the altitude change where I was. I am putting in a hand throttle to make adjustments to this in the future.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
electric fan didn't help mine much, if at all. running my clutch fan i think the hottest i got last summer was 197º sitting in traffic with a 180º t-stat.

one thing you can do is duct the radiator as much as possible. i used some door sweep from home depot to close in the sides, and i made a stainless piece that keeps air from going over the core. all seemed to help. i also have american bronco's RAD, and bailie bilt's perforated fender skirts. i don't have much of a heating problem now.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Rather than a thromostat get a restrictor always open but regulates flow, make sure wp/fan pulley is smaller than the crank, next is al radiator I have the same problem havent beat it yet! get rid of any aux cooler from in front of radiator, .....220 aint terrible but it shows cooling system isnt up to par for crawling.