• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I need help to build a heavy duty cooling system

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
No, it's nothing fancy like the triple pass radiator. But I really don't know specifics like fins per inch and that sort of stuff.

Typically, if you're overheating at speed, you aren't getting enough air through the radiator. It there anything (winch, PS cooler, electric fans, etc) that would block air flow through the radiator?

As an inexpensive troubleshooting task, just pull the radiator and take it to a shop. Explain the problem to them, and have they examine the radiator.

I've got to agree here. Some of you are listening to a snake oil salesman and have tons of money. That goes for "water wetter" too.
A good radiator shop is way better than taking a chance with advice from this site.
Usually there is a reason for overheating, not deficient stock parts. There have been a number of overheating cases here where the owner threw all new aftermarket parts at it and found the thermostat or head gasket backwards. A well maintained stock system with all the parts intact is hard to beat. The optional "super cooling" package that mine came with is all I have and it works great idling with the A/C on a 110 degree day. The "super cooling " package consists of just a three pass radiator and a seven blade flex fan.

OP
OP
cekautsky

cekautsky

Loc.
Alta Loma, CA
Hey all, So i made some mods to my cooling system based on the advice i received here and I am pleased to say that my latest configuration worked perfect. I am still running the Ron Davis radiator, flow cooler water pump, and 180 thermostat. I did removed the electric pusher fan and installed a 6 blade flex fan with the stock shroud. For the 200 miles i logged over 3 days the water temp never pushed past 185 no matter what i did (slow, fast, uphill, tight canyons, or sugar sand dunes). The temps were in the 80`s so it wasn't a super hot weekend but i am confident the temp will hold as the summer temps increase. Thank you all that took time to help me out. CK ;D

Chub_Rock

Is there anything (winch, PS cooler, electric fans, etc) that would block air flow through the radiator?

As an inexpensive troubleshooting task, just pull the radiator and take it to a shop. Explain the problem to them, and have they examine the radiator.

There is PS and AT coolers mounted in front of the lower half of the radiator, as well as a winch which seems typical for others who don't overheat. I think I'll take the whole rig to the radiator shop and see what they think.
I recently bought the bronco a few months ago. It had a 302 with oil blowby; Driven put in a used 351w for me. From the cooling system equipment it appears the previous owner was spending money trying to fix overheating too. Thanks for the advice. Trying to see what works for the 351 owners.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/Chub_Rock/IMG_20150328_074019218.jpg