• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling System Redo

Salashhavoc

Not a mechanic
After recently moving to the great state of Idaho, my EB started to heat up. (For the record, they do grow potatoes here...). So, after a brief discussion with my better half, I convinced her that an upgrade was necessary as engine temps were spiking at 220-240 and I was getting nervous...building a new engine(though preferable) would be more money and result in reduced shopping for her...

After her blessing, I grabbed my CC and went online. Please let me know if I am missing something as I would like to do it once and right... I will post up pics when I swap it out this coming weekend.

Aluminum Champion 3 Row Radiator
SS Hardware and Mounts
Aluminum Reduced Size Water Pump Pulley
All New Engine Hose Set - Goodyear Hi-Miller Blue
Chrome Thermostat Housing (Gotta have a lil bling!)
192 Degree Thermostat
Heater Valve Shutoff (Floorboards were roasting the toes!)
New V Belts

I am not replacing the Fan or shroud as both appear to be newer and in good condition. Any thoughts regarding the water pump?

I am running a 302 with a mild cam, carb, and C4 tranny.

Thanks!

TOP2.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
16 lb radiator cap, High performance thermostat not a cheepo from the parts store. Recirculating coolant bottle if you dont have one. 50/50 green ethyleen glycol antifreeze. anode inside the radiator. Distilled water. 7 blade fan. make sure the lower hose has spring inside.
start it up when full and cap off with the front end up on ramps to burp the system. I drill a 1/8 hole in the top of thermostat to help with the burp. thermostat gaskit.
pulling the front apart hows your timing chain nows the time if suspect.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd ditch the chrome thermostat housing part, I've had nothing but problems with them leaking.

X2...nothing but trouble. I just threw away one the PO put on my 351W and replaced it with a factory piece. While neither is what I would consider an extremely nice part, the OE piece at least seems to be doing the job without continously leaking, something I cannot say for the chrome unit.

If you want something fancy, I'd run a either a clockable billet aluminum housing or a stainless one like this.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
or just get a stock aluminum job and polish it up.

Overall the new radiator will probably cure your issue. although it could be little more than a bad tstat causing your heating issue. I'd probably leave everythi9ng else as is you dont need a new water pump unless its leaking.

OP
OP
Salashhavoc

Salashhavoc

Not a mechanic
Thanks for the input...

First of all the EB runs 190-200 up to 210-215 driving 55 MPH at approx 2400RPMs. It really starts to make me nervous sitting at traffic lights as it tends to creep up a few more degrees.

As for the external tranny cooler, it is on my list for the next project. I was hoping the new radiator would cooler the tranny fluid better than before, but i figured I could add this at a later date pretty easily.

Duly noted about the chrome housing and will skip... I wish i would have seen the CSR before i placed my summit hose order... Perhaps next time.

I will return my el cheapo thermostat and get a performance one. As for the recirculating coolant bottle, is this an overflow tank? If so, i have one to install (didn't have one before). Where do i get that specific of antifreeze? I was planning on using peak with a 50/50 mix of distilled water.

As mentioned before, the fan looks rater new but is a 6 blade. Will that seventh blade add that much?

Thanks for the input!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
temp range is not to bad. Just get a good named brand t stat you should be fine they all go bad I had a performance one that was bad right out of the box better to get something locally.
Run any antifreeze you like they are all basically the same nowadays just make sure its safe for use with aluminum radiators most are now and your fine.
The 7th blade wont help much I wouldnt bother.
Not sure where you moved from but you may need to retune the engine to your current location. igintion timing can play a big role in engine cooling.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You're a pretty good salesman but most of the stuff you listed won't help an overheating problem.
An aluminum radiator won't cool better than a brass one.
*SS hardware and chrome t-stat housing are just bling.
*Reduced pulleys and high flow water pumps are over-rated as the t-stat limits the flow anyway.
*Just readjust your existing heat shut-off valve. You don't need the expensive auxiliary one to do that.

I'd suggest a trip to a good local radiator shop before shelling out $ on any online radiator. Those I've had have been leakers within two years. Also, the radiator shop has a lot more experience with overheating issues and would probably give advice on how to get your car cooled off. Anyway, that's been my experience. Nobody knows more about cooling than a radiator shop in Bakersfield.;)
Where in Idaho do you live?

OP
OP
Salashhavoc

Salashhavoc

Not a mechanic
Thanks for the input! The move was to Boise, ID. The one fundamental it seems I was missing was an overflow tank.

It is too late on the other items as they will be arriving today/tomorrow... and i would be the first to admit some of them were more for looks than need, such as the SS mounts and hardware.

OP
OP
Salashhavoc

Salashhavoc

Not a mechanic
Well, removed the thermostat today and lo and behold found a 160 degree thermostat in place... I wonder if that was contributing to my issue? Who said check the fundamentals? :)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D First look at the timeing. And when you buy the chrome houseing hang it on the wall works best there. I use a stock 3 row 7 blade stock fan,stock water pump & pully no heat problems in the last 30 years with it (351W with a RV typ cam. Good luck with yours.:cool::cool::cool: Bill :D%);D

OP
OP
Salashhavoc

Salashhavoc

Not a mechanic
Well, it took me a few days longer than i thought due to work, but here it goes.

After replacing the 160 Degree thermostat, with a 195 degree, i started stalling... Yes, I believe i was a victim of vapor lock...

So, I ended up doing the following...

Champion 3 Core Aluminum Radiator
BC Bronco's Reduced Aluminum Water Pump Pulley
New V Belts
Goodyear Super HiMiller Hose kit
180 Degree Thermostat
BC Bronco's Heater Shutoff Valve
Stainless Radiator Mounts (More for looks than function...)
Refilled Radiator with mix of Peak Antifreeze and distilled water

Here are a few before and afters...
B1.jpg
B2.jpg

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

So, I ended up re-routing the fuel line and filter away from the engine. The standard metal line from the pump up, i placed some extra hose over the top to protect from the heat. I think the re-route of the fuel lines was probably the most effective. Using an IR thermometer, the fuel line hose from pump to carb was 190+ degrees, after re-route, the hottest it gets is around 140 degrees. The fuel filter temp also dropped over 40 degrees. I will still place some aluminized sheathing on the lines once it arrives, as the tank to pump line runs right next to the headers and i am sure it doesn't help keep the fuel cool.

I appreciate all of the input! (Note - No Chrome Thermostat Housing installed...)

Anyone know of a good source for an aluminum overflow tank?

dtm030

Loc.
Jax Beach
How has this setup worked for you so far? Any issues? I have a similar setup and am wondering what to do as my temp got up the other day while it was sitting at idle for 10 mins or so and summer isn't even here yet.

mark s

I bought an aluminum overflow tank from Bronco works out of Las Vegas.

Nice piece, fast shipping and that bling your after...