• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Core Charge's at Pick 'n Pull WT%!!???

galen1970b

So....is anyone as annoyed as I am about a pick n pull slavage yard..charging for cores?!....I asked them if they send them off to be rebuilt...and they said they didnt and cores get shipped off to the recycler.....So I'm paying extra...for no reason...and If I do bring back a core....there just gonna sell it for scrap...I need to open up a salvage yard...

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
They nickel and dime you to death any way you can.....still can't stay away!

Todd Z.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I asked the same question years ago. They claim it's the lost money they'd get in scrap that they charge the core for. Completely ridiculous since they're getting more for the used part than they'd get in scrap. Take your choice on what you want to sell, used parts or scrap, not both :mad:

The local yard (Pick-n-Pull chain) charges cores on everything. $10 core on a steering box, $30 core on a transmission, $15 core on a transfer case, $3 core on a spindle, $1 core on a brake backing plate, etc., etc. etc.

strokers

Agree and add the environmental fee is also a sham. Find a part for 8 bucks cost 13 out the door. Core charge environmental and 2 bucks to get in

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Agree and add the environmental fee is also a sham. Find a part for 8 bucks cost 13 out the door. Core charge environmental and 2 bucks to get in

In spite of that they get tons of business and they have had a ton of growth in the past 20 years.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I had it out with a place in Orlando, I got to the salvage yards to pull lead weights for bullets. I print of the day rate for lead on the exchanges and offer them 20% above that which is really good, they are not going to get that salvage and most reloaders wont pay more than 10% over day rate. Anyways they wanted to charge me 50 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket when day rates where about 20 for that much. It took several minutes to convince them that no one in the market was going to pay the rate that they where trying to get out of me.

We have a pretty good salvage yard here in St. Cloud, they don't nickle and dime you and many times on little crap like a light switch or dash switch they will just throw it in, if you are getting something else. Seems some salvage owners are like EB owners, every piece of junk is a gold mine.

Last edited:

techlaf

Contributor
At least Pull-a-Part here tells you exactly how much a part will cost before you pull the part. Some of the smaller ones around here won't give you a price until after you pull the part. "How much for the set of heads off that explorer out there?" "Hmmm... it depends. Just pull it and bring it in and I'll let you know." WTF?! No way.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I haven't complained because their prices are so low compared to other yards that even with all the extra fees, you still pay less. At least here in my neck of the woods.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
lowbush, the one there is St. Cloud is great, they still let you just wander around and are very helpful.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Most of the pick and pull yards around here have gotten rid of most core fees. Four different operators so there is some competition which helps keep the prices down.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
lowbush, the one there is St. Cloud is great, they still let you just wander around and are very helpful.

Yep I take the boys there and they play walking dead. They are a good old school salvage yard. Unfortunately there are a lot of reloaders in St. Cloud so they have been about picked clean of lead. So I really only go down there when I need parts.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yep I take the boys there and they play walking dead. They are a good old school salvage yard. Unfortunately there are a lot of reloaders in St. Cloud so they have been about picked clean of lead. So I really only go down there when I need parts.

Must not be the one in Campbell city.
Which one is it? I am in St. Cloud a lot and have given up on the yards in Apopka and Bithlo.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Must not be the one in Campbell city.
Which one is it? I am in St. Cloud a lot and have given up on the yards in Apopka and Bithlo.

It's called St. Cloud Auto Salvage it's on the edge of town on 192 heading towards Melbourne just past Narcoossee rd. Next time you are over this way ping me and I will head out there with you. The have a few EFI systems sitting in some of the cars that I want to look at and see if they are worth grabbing.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
Low. Go to a scrap yard they are getting about 50 cents a pound for wheel weights if they are selling a truck load. Should be able to get a bucket for around that price.

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
This is news to me, never heard of a core charge at a junk yard! Times must be getting rough for such things to even be considered.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
What's the deal on that?
Is it like splitting a bill and charging more on labor than parts so you don't pay so much on sales tax?
I mean, why not just charge one price for something? Even if you add the core charge to price of the part, just call it a price, don't tell me it's a core charge, then charge for entry, then charge for the part and stuff. Just give me one price.

So unless they pay differently on their end I don't understand why they throw all those add ons to us.