• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cosmo Shims... anybody used them lately? Source?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So I need to correct some positive camber and am having difficulty tracking down the correct size Cosmo shims...does anybody know of a source? SPC sent me all they had but they were all the wrong size... 4 3/4" OD instead of appr 6 1/2" OD.

I jerry-stacked two and got the camber to zero...just couldn't install...

I need some to fit a Ford Kingpin... '78-79 D60

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
So I need to correct some positive camber and am having difficulty tracking down the correct size Cosmo shims...does anybody know of a source? SPC sent me all they had but they were all the wrong size... 4 3/4" OD instead of appr 6 1/2" OD.

I jerry-stacked two and got the camber to zero...just couldn't install...

I need some to fit a Ford Kingpin... '78-79 D60

Last time I built a front 60 I was able to get them from SPC. It was a kingpin 60 but IIRC it came out of a dodge power wagon. Might need to ask the guys on Pirate.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I bought the last 5 Cosmos shims from SPC...end of an era they said... :)
explaining that I had a D60...they sent me their last 5 shims and they are all for a D44!! :(

I talked to the only other distributer and they are checking as I type this but he was confident that they had the one I need still in stock...way back in storage... hope so... help those 40"s last a little longer...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah...the last 2 posts in that Pirate thread dated in '16 said the shims were unavailable...

I read a lot of Pirate posts about the lack of availability of adequate, meaning off-road worthiness of camber adjustment for early D60 kingpin front ends...

Digger556

Have you looked at this option?

http://www.spcalignment.com/index.php?option=com_spc&task=part_description&pid=88940

88940.jpg

88940ill.jpg

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I have, thanks Digger. That's my backup plan... couple Pirate guys ha e mentioned with big tires and severe use its hard to keep them in adjustment...I will get close with the Cosmos shim and see if I need to go that route. If I can dial in less than .25deg positive camber. I'll be OK.

dholder

I bought the last 5 Cosmos shims from SPC...end of an era they said... :)
explaining that I had a D60...they sent me their last 5 shims and they are all for a D44!! :(

I talked to the only other distributer and they are checking as I type this but he was confident that they had the one I need still in stock...way back in storage... hope so... help those 40"s last a little longer...

How much do you want for the D44 shims?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I bought their last 5 at $12.95 each...I got a deal I think because I just ordered the look alike D60 shim (last in stock) and had to pay $30 for one... ouch...oh well, its on its way.

Email me if interested.

dholder

I bought their last 5 at $12.95 each...I got a deal I think because I just ordered the look alike D60 shim (last in stock) and had to pay $30 for one... ouch...oh well, its on its way.

Email me if interested.

Email sent.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I just went through this with my 44. Some of the 60's are the same 5 stud 6 5/8 dia. like the 76'-79' Ford D44. I was looking for the Ingalls adjustable camber shim. Rock Auto had a 1* shim that was correct, the other sizes I ordered ended up being for the 6 stud GM style D60. �� I made do with what I ended up with, less than .25 negative camber on each side.
For the nice slotted adjustable ones, Ingalls sold to Dorman products. Dorman isn't producing them yet. I'm of sure if they will.
Mark

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Correct, all sources have repeated that they arent made anymore...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yup, old stock I'm guessing...least thats what I'm being told from the manufacturer...

Wonder what the degrees is for those two listings? They made about 8 different shims

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks...saw the dia, didn't see the degree amount.

Working out in the shop...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I bought a 1* shim from Rock Auto, it was aluminum and the correct bolt pattern. The others I bought in varying degrees were plastic and the wrong pattern. All ordered for the same application.

Mark