• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Couple of disc brake questions

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I am fixing to pull the trigger on the front disc brake kit. Rough estimate what would someone charge to install this? Who sells the best one, or is there a difference. Also would it be worth the extra $ to buy the booster? One more, my hubs on the EB say ford on them, will I need to replace them also so that the kit fits? I'm looking at the Tom's kit that is $1,165.00 with booster. I thought about trying it myself, seems straight forward but not sure never have done it.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
No clue on what someone would charge to install it, but you can use the stock locking hubs with the disc conversion.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Id use that kit w/o the booster and do a hydroboost......the kits pretty simple if you can grease your front wheel bearings you can install this kit....12 nuts and 5 are holding your tire and wheel on...not counting your hub screws

look its Mark!

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I would do the disc conversion also...but... Use the Hydroboost...WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES..

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Thanks Mark, is it true I can't use the factory hubs with the kit? Do I have to do any grinding if I have the Dana 44?

I've run the factory Ford lockouts on three front ends I've done the Chevy conversion to. No reason not to re-use them.

The knuckles on the 44 still needs to be ground.

smokejumper71

I just put the TBP brake kit in yesterday. It was pretty easy. I didn't use their directions but there is a you tube video of it being done and there is a write up on 4x4review.com where they but it on their project bronco. The only thing I didn't do myself was I had the u joint pressed in by a local shop. The kit did wonders for the bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought I read where the others said you CAN use the stock hubs. Nothing here about "can't" that I see.
In fact, if they're in good shape, I still feel the original Dana/Spicer "Ford" hubs are the best for your Bronco.
And nowadays, they're kind of retro-cool anyway. Got some old school street-cred under their belt. So to speak.

FYI, Ford, GM, Dodge all used the same model locking hub (lockouts) on some of their trucks over the years. All '66 to '79 (and even later as far as the aftermarket versions) Fords, both Early Bronco, full-size Bronco and 1/2 Ton trucks used the same parts with the plastic Red knob whether on the Dana 30 or the 44 front ends.
GM used the same one, but with alternately either a Blue or Mustard colored knob on all K5, K10 and even some K20 trucks from at least as far back as '67, and up to, in some cases, the '91 model year.
As for Dodge, many of their 1/2 ton trucks and Ramchargers used the same hubs too. Intermittently spaced with some oddballs, but they were in there.

So the same mechanism that is in yours, is compatible with your new disc brakes. All the kits I know utilize a Ford '76-'79 outer hub anyway. So you're good.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and even though the grinding is "easy" by the standards of most shade-tree mechanics, if you don't have a decent grinder available, it's not a cake walk.
In other words, it's not hard, but your basic Dremel tool ain't gonna cut it.

Paul

73elwaybronco

Loc.
Oklahoma
A guy on YouTube has a 3 part video on how to do the conversion, I just did mine a few weeks ago. I piecemealed it from a 79 bronco I believe (didn't have to grind anything)

I did it for around 400-450$... Changed the ball joints, bearings, brought calipers, shoes and one of my Superwinch hubs was broken so I replaced them with Warns.

YouTube video I watched

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=h9meLGBOLYI&desktop_uri=/watch?v=h9meLGBOLYI

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
A guy on YouTube has a 3 part video on how to do the conversion, I just did mine a few weeks ago. I piecemealed it from a 79 bronco I believe (didn't have to grind anything)

I did it for around 400-450$... Changed the ball joints, bearings, brought calipers, shoes and one of my Superwinch hubs was broken so I replaced them with Warns.

YouTube video I watched

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=h9meLGBOLYI&desktop_uri=/watch?v=h9meLGBOLYI

Yea I watched that guy this morning, that what got me to thinking I could do it myself and save some $. Thanks everyone

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Started your brake conversion? I'm tearing into mine this weekend. Too bad your not closer we could knock them out :cool:

Let me know how yours goes and any tips other than what you've read on here.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
No g8rb8t, I haven't got to it yet, my kit hasn't been order yet. Let me know how it goes please. Good Luck

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Will do. First challenge I've had is getting all the pieces here. Gheese, between a damaged hub, one of the boxes being returned to the vendor and had to have them reship it and then the box from the vendor with the replacement hub had no hub but 2 mirrors, windshield gasket, windshield stainless hinge, hood pins and other items!!

Needless to say Im off to a very slow start!

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
I was surprised the hub and rotors and lugs were not pre assembled as shown in pics.