• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Couple questions. Misc wire and leaky valve cover bolt

work765

I was just fiddling around under my dash and found this extra orange wire that goes to nothing. Does anyone know what it's to? My Fuel gauge is working.(I noticed that had an orange line as well)

Also recently I had a pretty bad leak and finally figured it was most likely the valve covers. I changed out the old ones and put the new rubber blue ones. The leak is 95% better. With just some occasional little spots.
On the inside lip of the valve covers that black finish was coming off in places and not totally smooth smooth. Also I noticed today a small amount of oil coming from the valve cover bolt. It seemed kind of weird. I checked the bolt and it was tight.

How do you guys go about tracking down a small oil leak?

Should I spray the whole engine with degreaser and wash it clean. And then try to track it down?
8b78011ae41b20bde8a76aa6c8ca88f9.jpg

4a3f4a89eb51811d9e01e5f9db5bc87d.jpg
18261d814388928cd8cf7294a020d700.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Do you have duel tanks, it could possibly be the wire that goes to the tank selector switch for the gauge on the lower left of the dash. My 74 has a male end coming off the switch, and a female end like in your picture plugs into it.

OP
OP
W

work765

Do you have duel tanks, it could possibly be the wire that goes to the tank selector switch for the gauge on the lower left of the dash. My 74 has a male end coming off the switch, and a female end like in your picture plugs into it.

Good possibility! I just have the over sized tank in back from the previous owner. But it's a 76, and don't the later years come with dual tanks? It was probably removed.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've had trouble using the rubber gaskets too. They seemed to let oil seep around them.
I've had better sealing with the rubberized cork. Use contact cement only on the cover side, and lightly oil the block side of the gasket.

OP
OP
W

work765

Thanks guys. Some guy at a performance shop also said clean the bolt up and maybe try wrapping that teflon tape around it(plumbing). But he also said my leak is pretty mild.

I think I need to seriously degrease my engine to see what's new leak compared to old.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I just have the over sized tank in back from the previous owner.

There's a good chance that an auxiliary tank was left out after the installation of the larger main tank. I prefer keeping both intact, but many people get rid of the smaller one after.

...But it's a 76, and don't the later years come with dual tanks? It was probably removed.

If it's got the hole in the fender, or a cap and filler neck that go nowhere, then you had dual tanks from the factory. But it was always just an option that I'm aware of. Not automatically installed even in the later years. Probably very popular though, and maybe ordered with dual tanks automatically by all the dealers by that point.
Still, I think we've seen some late ones with single tanks from the factory.

But the wire would have been there no matter what. Ford did not use different wiring harnesses for differently optioned Broncos. They all got the same thing, so if yours had a single tank it would still have had an extra Orange wire poking out of the harness next to the cluster.

So does yours have the place for the switch? Does your gauge currently work?

Paul

OP
OP
W

work765

There's a good chance that an auxiliary tank was left out after the installation of the larger main tank. I prefer keeping both intact, but many people get rid of the smaller one after.

If it's got the hole in the fender, or a cap and filler neck that go nowhere, then you had dual tanks from the factory. But it was always just an option that I'm aware of. Not automatically installed even in the later years. Probably very popular though, and maybe ordered with dual tanks automatically by all the dealers by that point.

Still, I think we've seen some late ones with single tanks from the factory.

But the wire would have been there no matter what. Ford did not use different wiring harnesses for differently optioned Broncos. They all got the same thing, so if yours had a single tank it would still have had an extra Orange wire poking out of the harness next to the cluster.

So does yours have the place for the switch? Does your gauge currently work?

Paul

I just remembered that that second gas tank filler hole was bondoed or sealed over. I can see a slight bump where it was covered up by whoever did the body work. So it most likely had dual tanks.

I hate diluting posts. But a question Paul.
My heater magically stopped working one day and I just noticed it. I looked today and the fuse was burnt out. So I replaced that, and still nothing.

The knob is pulled all the way out and I was turning it every which way.

It was functioning perfectly a few months ago. I went through and cleaned it out and redid the core and foam thingies last winter.

But when summer was here I stopped using it and just noticed now that it's getting colder that it's not working at all. It's not blowing at all. No fan is turning on.

What are my options for trouble shooting?
Make sure wires are attached to back of knob. Make sure wires are attached to fan?

How else do I test it? I have a volt meter.

OP
OP
W

work765

Paul, I'll resurrect an old post about heaters to keep things more clear and for other people who might need help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have volt meter, will travel...
Yes to all. I'll check out the other thread just in case, but the first thing to check when the fan isn't working are the wires to the switch, then the wire(s) to the motor.
There is a chance that some corrosion as build up and just keeping the motor from getting sufficient voltage, so check for that and also scrape/file/sand the fuse contacts (all of them while you're at it) to make sure the electrons are flowing well.

The fact that there was a blow fuse might just indicate a motor that's old and tired and needs a kick in the pants to get spinning. You might just take it out and see if it still spins and that there isn't anything in the way of the fan/squirrel cage that would keep it from spinning.
Might be some odd leaf or rats nest in there. You never know.

Good luck.

Paul