• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cowl steel below windsheild frame hinge DIY

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Has anyone made their own?
I have access to a metal brake that can bend steel up to 12' I'm sure we could use the smaller brakes to do this task. Thinking of using 14 or 16 gauge sheetmetal.
I know I will need the fab up the hood hinge pockets after the bends are made.

Does anyone have the degrees of the bends to share?

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Back in '86, I have a local metal fab shop bend up a full width piece that covered from the hinges to the defrost vents, three or four bends, I forget. Worked pretty well, I just measured the angles and lengths after removing the old windshield.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Dang, I have it, just not here at home, it is up at the shop 156 miles away.

You will also have to weld in some nuts for the windshield bolts, when doing mine we were going to have one made but found it was in fair shape.

Best way to get the angle is with an angle finder.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Pulled these off of the new one I just got from Wild Horses. The two 107 degree bends taper down to 0 degrees to accommodate the passengers side of the cowl where the heater fresh air vent is.

Attachments

• Windshield Cowl.JPG
    Windshield Cowl.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 44

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Didn't I see a pic of one from Dynacorn in one of the SEMA show threads?
Or maybe someone just mentioned that they were going to do one.
Might be the same one WH sells, or they may have been having their own made since so many people needed them over the past few years.

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
These are not exact. Didn't have a micrometer handy but pretty close with a ruler.

Attachments

• Windshield Cowl Dimensions.JPG
    Windshield Cowl Dimensions.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 23