• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote vs stock, updated chassis is it really all that?

Scubadds

I have my new ‘74 up and going and awaiting title.
Trying to decide if I need to lesson my 5” suspension lift as it seems like I am bouncing around a bit and a bit unpredictable, but I have only driven around my neighborhood. However, it got me shopping suspensions, maybe a duff suspension (duck tuff), then I started wondering how a new chassis and coyote would drive. (Like a kincer coil over as an example). My 302 engine starts up fast and seems to run strong, sounds like I may have a manifold leak that makes it sound like it's chugging along…basically the old bronco we all love.
On a related note, I had just finished a scout II frame off with LS swap recently.
Maybe I geared it too low, but I seems like more hp than I needed with the old style steering and ride quality, everything was brand new and top of the line stuff too.
It just seems like an old scout wasn't meant to go but so fast.
It probably just needed softer leafs (had custom Alcans) an alignment and steering stabilizer, and maybe a remap of the throttle, but I saw something else that caught my eye and sold it to friend. And swore off projectsÂ…lol. Then I stumbled onto this bronco.
Now I found myself wondering where I go with my Bronco. I don't need/want any body work and would envision keeping my original paint and patina. It's orange and has a nice shine with some wear in a few spots. Unless doing a new frame with a survivor body doesn't make sense.
But I just starting thinking/dreaming what if I bought a new Kincer chassis and built it slowly while I enjoy the Bronco as is. Then transfer body over and connect it all.
Seems like my best plan is to shut up and enjoy it as it is, maybe work out the suspension issuesÂ….
So, I am curious to hear from folks that have been around an updated early Bronco is it all worth it?
Any draw backs? Are they stupid fast? (I do like speed, I just like it with handling and good brakes) There is certainly an appeal to not having to worry too much about a new paint jobÂ… I can leave the top off and not worry if it rains.
I watch the Jonathan ward icon videos and they seems to drive at a level that I can't imagine a duff suspension matching up against? Or am I wrong.

Just looking for any thoughts as to whether it's worth all the trouble and expense?

mebco09

All depends on what you want.

If it's mostly original, (body, paint, interior) I'd ditch the 5" lift and get a smaller lift, new tires, new shocks. The closer to stock, the better it's going to ride.

As far as speed, I don't drive much faster than 60mph in mine. I don't think Ford designed them to go much faster. Sure, you can do a bunch of mods to make it more highway worthy, but in the end, it will never drive like a new truck will. You are handicapped by short wheelbase, narrow wheel-track and no aerodynamics.

At resale time, I think an aftermarket frame might hurt you as a purist probably wouldn't want it, and someone who wants a modded Bronco might not like what/how you did something.

OP
OP
S

Scubadds

All depends on what you want.

If it's mostly original, (body, paint, interior) I'd ditch the 5" lift and get a smaller lift, new tires, new shocks. The closer to stock, the better it's going to ride.

As far as speed, I don't drive much faster than 60mph in mine. I don't think Ford designed them to go much faster. Sure, you can do a bunch of mods to make it more highway worthy, but in the end, it will never drive like a new truck will. You are handicapped by short wheelbase, narrow wheel-track and no aerodynamics.

At resale time, I think an aftermarket frame might hurt you as a purist probably wouldn't want it, and someone who wants a modded Bronco might not like what/how you did something.

Well said, I think taking the suspension lift down is next...the most original thing is the paint, it has a good combination of a nice shine in most areas and a bit of wear in some areas. Just has a good look. Thanks

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
most economical thing to do is just expand your stable with a New Bronco, if ford can figure out a way to ship them. that way when you want the best of everything you go new, if you want to be recognized as one of those old guys you drive the classic Bronco and enjoy what it is when it is. better than screwing up an old classic or spending allot of money to try to make a Bronco into a new mustang of which you get neither of both.
money is yours the choice is yours. I really wonder just how good is the Coyote Bronco is in the long term. I don't see them as Broncos any more their sports trucks with no soul. Kinda of like rock buggy's with no true identity any more.

Spaggyroe

Haters gonna hate I guess. ;-)

I have a gen 2 coyote in my 69, and can assure you that the soul is just as alive with that rig as any of my 302 Broncos. Yeah, it's fast and a riot to drive. I regularly do 70-80 in it. Maybe it is a "sports truck" (TM Rustytruck 2021). As mentioned before... it'll never drive like a new vehicle though.

Mine is a stock chassis, with a 3-1/2" wild horses lift, 35" tires, duff t-rex radius arms and a duff torque tamer traction bar. A guy I know has duffs 4-link kit under his coyote bronco, and I think it does ride better (although I don't think mine is bad). Handling in a lifted early bronco is... probably not much of a consideration... lol. I have 4 wheel disc brakes with a hydroboost. It stops better than anything else I own.

It really does come down to what you want out of a vehicle, and how much you want to spend. Driving a bone stock early bronco can be an absolute blast too.

Jamie Chriss

Ditto Spaggy. I have a very similar built to yours my Bronco was a junk yard beast so I intended day one to rebuild new, I didn't have existing parts to salvage so it was a much easier decision. I love every aspect of my Bronco and would do it again, but be prepared to spend some money and wait a year of so for the parts to arrive.

Attachments

• Bronco Done.jpg
    Bronco Done.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 88

tripleJs15

Ditto Spaggy. I have a very similar built to yours my Bronco was a junk yard beast so I intended day one to rebuild new, I didn't have existing parts to salvage so it was a much easier decision. I love every aspect of my Bronco and would do it again, but be prepared to spend some money and wait a year of so for the parts to arrive.

I thought you were running a 2.5" lift but it seems higher.

Regarding the OP thread, I would rather have the coyote if doing a ground up, the cost is prohibitive otherwise. If not a ground-up I would do a blueprint and lower our truck.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As a guy who has gone 4 inch lift and most in between, currently at 3.5WH and 2 inch BL, I would stick with no more than a 1-2 inch lift and cut the body to fit the tires if and only if it rubs bad, as in cutting a tire bad. There is so much loss of stability pushing these above 2 inches IMO, just my opinion. I'm old, don't need auto lane changes at 70 anymore.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haters gonna hate I guess. ;-)

I have a gen 2 coyote in my 69, and can assure you that the soul is just as alive with that rig as any of my 302 Broncos. Yeah, it's fast and a riot to drive. I regularly do 70-80 in it. Maybe it is a "sports truck" (TM Rustytruck 2021). As mentioned before... it'll never drive like a new vehicle though.

Mine is a stock chassis, with a 3-1/2" wild horses lift, 35" tires, duff t-rex radius arms and a duff torque tamer traction bar. A guy I know has duffs 4-link kit under his coyote bronco, and I think it does ride better (although I don't think mine is bad). Handling in a lifted early bronco is... probably not much of a consideration... lol. I have 4 wheel disc brakes with a hydroboost. It stops better than anything else I own.

It really does come down to what you want out of a vehicle, and how much you want to spend. Driving a bone stock early bronco can be an absolute blast too.

I don't think you are seriously calling the hobbyist/purists haters, that is sarcasm and humor? there is room for everybody. It all depends on what you, the owner wants. Mine is an explorer Efi,4r70 restomod, if I had it to do over, carb'd 5.0 and c-4. In the end, make the decision up front and have a plan, don't be like me............