• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cracked wheel

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
2 part epoxy, sand, fill as needed, prime and paint with a 2K product

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
The repair kits have an epoxy that you fill the cracks with. Then sand down any excess to attempt to match the curves and nooks of the steering wheel. Finally, paint the whole thing.

Very time consuming. Weigh the time spent with simply buying a new reproduction steering wheel for a couple hundred dollars.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steering_Wheel_66-73/Bronco_Steering_Wheels

Looking at the price of some of these kits maybe a new wheel looks good.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
as long as the wheel is in stock. that's the big challenge thee days

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I know a few people that went the repair kit route and found the wheel soon cracks again.
That's especially true in the desert, even for snow birds. The winter is just as dry as the summer. I've seen leather upholstery shrink to worthlessness and airbag suspensions crack and deflate in about 7 yrs. It's too bad the rubber coated Stoppe steering wheels aren't being reproduced and were never made available to EB owners. Better yet would be a DIY coating kit that could be used on the spokes as well as the rim. I found the spokes got the worst cracks. They just don't cut your hand.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Good to know jckkys. We average about 20% humidity in the summer. Hate to go to all that work and have it crack later.