• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crown Vic 5.0 question

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I have an opportunity to get a Crown Vic 5.0 motor complete with Serpentine setup, and it only has 65000 miles on it. It would be going into it 76 that already has a C4 automatic.

Aside from the correct flex plate and needing a fuel pump what else might I need? Will that Serpentine system even work without hitting the radiator, and will the radiator have to be swapped?

Thanks, Tyler

70sbudget

if i recall that motor had an intake manifold which is reversed for some reason. thinking the inlet might be at the rear. just worth looking into

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It has the reverse flow water pump, so a crossover tube or different hoses are going to be needed.

The serpentine is like the Mustang, so fan clearance will be TIGHT.

Unless you are getting it for free, you should look for an Explorer engine.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on the year. I have a 1990 Lincoln town car 5.0. It s not really serpentine it has 2belts but there are the serpentine belts. 160 hp and 280 lbs at 2000/2200 so has good torque but runs out of breath about 3800/ 4000 rpm. Speed density and not HO like was said have to use stock bronco fan with a 3/4 adapter and it’s a bit tight. I got an entire Lincoln for 700 bucks and then t had 33,000 miles on it sold the AOD for 450 I just could pass it up. At that time explorers were still kinda expensive. Speed density makes it real easy to transplant
If you have any question s or want some pics let me know. Does good in the bronco. Not fast but good low end

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Thanks for all the info! I forgot to mention that I will stick with a carb, but otherwise intended to use the motor as is.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the info! I forgot to mention that I will stick with a carb, but otherwise intended to use the motor as is.

I bought a granny 5.0 (aka crown Vic motor) for $300 from a guy who pulled it out of his early bronco. He used the old bronco pulleys and v-belts so I should be good there. He kept it efi with the speed density computer (along with efi wiring) which I will be just fine with. I’m not big on hp so if I get 100 hp when I first get my bronco running I’ll be just happy. Me sinking $3k-$5k in a motor is just not in the cards right now. May be a few years down the road I’ll get a better motor. I’d rather spend that $3k on paint and body.

I have a c4 ready for mine as well so please give great details as to what you do when you slap them together. I’m looking forward to you installing this!
Matt

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I bought a granny 5.0 (aka crown Vic motor) for $300 from a guy who pulled it out of his early bronco. He used the old bronco pulleys and v-belts so I should be good there. He kept it efi with the speed density computer (along with efi wiring) which I will be just fine with. I’m not big on hp so if I get 100 hp when I first get my bronco running I’ll be just happy. Me sinking $3k-$5k in a motor is just not in the cards right now. May be a few years down the road I’ll get a better motor. I’d rather spend that $3k on paint and body.

I have a c4 ready for mine as well so please give great details as to what you do when you slap them together. I’m looking forward to you installing this!
Matt

When I put a roller motor in my Wife's Bronco I kept it carbed and v-belt too.
Here's how I did it....I used the old timing cover so the hoses worked out like originally in a Bronco. For the same reason I also used a new water pump but like what was in a Bronco originally. I happen to have a brand new damper laying around from another project that allowed the v-belt to work with the correct imbalance. Last thing I had to do was get a correct imbalance flex plate for the C4 and it all went together great.

This one I thought I'd try to take advantage of the serpentine if possible and save the expense of a conversion damper. No matter what I know I need a fuel pump since the roller motor won't accommodate an eccentric. I'll be sure to post with progress.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
5.0 crown Vic s are not serpentine they just use the 6 rib belts instead of v belts water pump is regular rotation too It will all fit accept the ac bracket because it is too wide and hits the inner fender

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
5.0 crown Vic s are not serpentine they just use the 6 rib belts instead of v belts water pump is regular rotation too It will all fit accept the ac bracket because it is too wide and hits the inner fender

Then that's the motor I'll be looking for. I plan to keep all the accessories from the 302.
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach

Excellent! Thanks for the additional information