• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins 4bt swap

igottastanger

I just got my cummins 4bt this morning. I bought it off craigslist and doesnt have a trans with it. Ive seen the 4bts mated with a zf trans, does anyone know what trucks these came in? Does anyone else have pics or links on how they have mounted a 4bt in their own bronco. Ive got a spair 69 6 banger frame that im going to mount this in. Any and all help would be appreciated.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It doesn't need to be bronco specific. Just search 4btswaps for zf. Not knowing much about the zf, what you need is the engine transmission adapter plate. This case maybe a ford small block?. If so, they will be pricey. Destroked has adapter also. Again it's pricey.

http://www.destroked.com/prod_adapters.php

Motor brackets depends on what motor mounts you have or going to use. I've not seen two bronco's w/ same motor mount setup. I did copy Jon at jbfab but it's still different. I'd also contact Jason at BCBroncos because they were converting a bronco last I email him.

Eugene

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

That is a nice one, but im looking for more tech and build than that. In that thread theres a lot of talking about off topic subjects which is great for drinking beer and bsing around a camp fire but that wont build my bronco. Thanks for the help though I really appreciate it.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK I got here as fast as I heard my name called... I do have the 4BT in my Bronco ...It took me about a year to install ... Should have taken about 2 or 3 months if I'd had the money and was younger.
... I say put your trans and transfer case in place 1st ... Using you stock drive shafts ...After those items are in place start fitting your BT into place.
... As was said there is a lot of good info over on ....4btswaps.com... Need to check them out .. I could not have don't mine conversion without them. Or the Guys here also.
.. Due to where the pumpkin sets you have to notch the oil pan so it does not make contact. Also necessary to us a lot of lift .. Mine has 2 inches of body and 3 inches of chassis. I ended up cutting out the front cross member and moving it forward about 2 inches or so. I added an piece of angle iron on the side of the frame so I could get the starter in place.
... I have the NP435 trans in mine because it was already in my Bronco and it is strong .
I'm not sure how strong the ZF trans is but it does take a good trans behind the 4BT if you do anything to you BT
... You can buy an adapter plate from the cummins to a Ford bell housing then use your ZF trans.
... Or you can buy an adapter from a 6BT cummins to a dodge bell housing and use the dodge flywheel from the 6bt . This is best in my onion using the NV4500 5 Speed but expensive .
... I love mine......
... Any one ask all the questions you want.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I actually have all the stuff to do the dodge set up with the HD 5 Speed . except the adapter from the 4500 to the Dana 20 Or other suitable trans fer case .
... But even where I'm at I expect it would still cost me $1000.00 to get it in place .. More drive shaft mods . TIME tIME tiME.

Dbteak

Look for a 87 to 97 Ford ZF S5-42 transmission. These were bolted to the small block Fords. Then you can use the Cummins adapter plate that came with some of the engines. The adapter plates show up on e-bay and 4btswaps from time to time. Expect to pay around 650 to 850 for the Cummins adapter.

Doug

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

Perfect this is what ive been looking for, thanks a lot. More threads just like this one are always appreciated, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

woody6852001

I happen to have a 93' zf 4x4 trans that has been rebuilt- i planned on using it behind my 351 and decided 4bt is the only way to go... nonetheless, i have my 4bt and a nv4500 so i have no use for the zf hit me up if you want it

woody6852001@yahoo.com

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

Do you have to cut the front crossmember to let the 4bt fit under the hood? Would a cowl fix that problem? Im asking now because i am fitting everything on the frame and dont want to run into that problem when i try to swap a body on.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I won't be starting on mine for a while, but I believe it will put a large angle on the front driveshaft if you don't cut the frame and they already have a sharp angle as it is.

Jim W.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, you need to mount the motor low. If you're planning on using body lift, 3" might get you by but that's just guessing. A hood cowl would work if you don't want to mess w/ the crossmember. Most don't want to cut into the hood.

Eugene

Dbteak

Do you have to cut the front crossmember to let the 4bt fit under the hood? Would a cowl fix that problem? Im asking now because i am fitting everything on the frame and dont want to run into that problem when i try to swap a body on.

I notched my front cross member about half and I have a 2" body lift and my stock hood still will not close without hitting the turbo piping. I have the turbo piping as close as I can to the motor but it still hits right at the front of the motor. I don't have any pics of the set up I used.

Doug

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I rerouted my turbo piping around the front of my motor .. I didn't want it to go over the motor. The motor was not a long as I 1st thought it would be.