• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins 4bt swap

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

ive got a line on a good nv 3550 will this stand up to the power the cummins will put out or am i better off with the zf?

big jim

I wouldn't run a 3550 behind a 4bt. I have som expierance with the 6bt swaps. I helped a buddy do a swap from a 460 in a 97 F350. We used an adapter from destroked to mate it to the stock zf. It was a some what built motor, it probably made 700ft lbs and he didn't have any problems with that tranny. He tows quite a bit and has since upgraded to a zf6 for the gearing. Adapting a 4bt vice 6bt is the same as far as i know and the zf is the way i would go unless i had a nv4500 from a dodge that would bolt up. aren't the big block zf easier to find?
Brian

big jim

I would probably also run a 205 behind the zf. it fits and needs no adapter.

Dbteak

ive got a line on a good nv 3550 will this stand up to the power the cummins will put out or am i better off with the zf?

I was first planning on the 3550 behind a 302, got everything and then decided on the 4bt. I have looked alot on line about the reliability of the 3550 and I don't think it will have any problems with the diesel. There are a few high HP engines in front of the 3550. I think you need to look at how you are going to drive the bronco and let that decide and not worry about if the 3550 is going to hold up.

Doug

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

Thanks this bronco is going to be a daily driver and somthing i can check the cows with. I wont be doing any rockclimbing butwill do the occational mudding when i have to cross the creek.

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

What size fuel pump should I run to push diesel to the injector pump? Do I need to change anything in the tanks as well to be used with diesel?

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Its not so much the HP or the torque that makes the 4BT hard on trannys.
Its the fact that it all happens in two power pulses per revolution of the crank.
The 4BT shock-loads the drivetrain unlike a V8.

jlewan001

Loc.
Thorp, WI
4BT to Mazda Trans

I am currently in the middle of a 4BT swap into my 72 Bronco. I have already done this swap into 1994 F150 and if you know how to weld and have coughed up the $$$ for the Cummins to Ford adapter on ebay it's really not hard. I'm doing a frame off restoration anyway, so with the body off this should be easier than some of the earlier conversions I've done.

I will be using the Mazda 5 speed transmission from a 1990 F150, like in my 94, just because a have a free one lying here. (I know I should not be stingy and just buy the ZF!!) The ZF adapter from advanced adapters will work on the Mazda tranny too and I already have the Dana 20 transfer case bolted to the 5 speed lying on my shop floor. The good thing about the Mazda trans is that it is easy to shift, like a car. Just a word of warning though, the gear ratios really suck. 1st and reverse are way high and 5th is kinda too low. My 94 F150 governs out at 71mph with 3.50 gears on the highway, uphill or downhill. I could never imagine using an np435. Too slow.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I GOT A Stranger :: you ask about the fuel pump ... I used {because} I worked at the Dodge Stealership .. A pull off lift pump from say a 1995 + or - diesel Tr. I just mounted it back on the frame about a foot or 2 in front of the rear tank ... Well come to think of it .. It is located where the front tank was. I removed that tank. I also used a Carter M70 pump .. At least I think that was the part no. of that pump. But basically I believe any pump will work. I too worried about the pump but it was a non issue after I got it going.
... Grill Master I answered that question over on another post tonight .. 4bt Progress where Chuck was asking something. Here I'll say it's not too heavy.
.. Send me questions if you have them .. I'll answer.