• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins Bronco and the D44

pacrat

Loc.
salt lake
I have a 4b for my 68. I'm curious to where your engine positioning is?
Did you mount the engine so the fly wheel is mounted behind the front cross member(to keep engine lower), or is the flywheel above the cross member?(& more forward). Mine has a rear sump, is that the same as your oil pan cofiguration? Thnx for the help. Patrick

Yellow76

Have you guys looked over on teh Chat section? There is a thread called Clydesdale buildup (heavyhorse). Jon from JB Fab is building his Bronco with a 4bt, Unimog axles, coilovers etc. He lives not to far from me and the rig is awesome. He has photos posted of how he mounted his motor into the Bronco with a ZF 5 speed and the new STAK "B" 3 speed transfer case. Give it a look and Jon is always willing to help someone out.

Shawn

pacrat

Loc.
salt lake
The consensus I have heard on motor mounts is that the liquid filled like JBFab is using are the softest. Steve Graham (one of the earliest 4BT guys) figured out that drilling a few holes in the 6BT motor mounts in the rubber cut vibration considerably. I will tell you that the vibration is only evident at idle based on what I can tell. Once up and moving, the thing purrs like a little kitten. I will send you a diff pan shot sometime. If you go with 3.5" of lift with 33's you should be fine. I have about 2.5" of clearance between the diff and the lower rear left part of the pan.
I've been curious as to where the engine is set. Where is the crank flywheel sitting in relation to the cross member.Is it Is it behind & lower than cross member?,or is that to far back?It seems your saying, that you had to narrow the back of the oil pan?Thnx for any input.Patrick

OP
OP
P

pmctighe

I have a 4b for my 68. I'm curious to where your engine positioning is?
Did you mount the engine so the fly wheel is mounted behind the front cross member(to keep engine lower), or is the flywheel above the cross member?(& more forward). Mine has a rear sump, is that the same as your oil pan cofiguration? Thnx for the help. Patrick

I haven't decided yet. I am still in the design phase while I rebuild my Cummins motor. I believe I have a rear sump as well. And I have been following the Heavy Horse Build; however, he is using different axles and a larger turbo that required a different mount. It is hard to apply what he is doing to what I and others are trying to do or have done. Right now I am trying to determine if I use his motor mount design can i mount my motor slightly higher so as to do less frame modifications and give better clearance for my axle without sticking the motor through the hood or having to body lift more than 2". Once I figure that out I will make a decision on using a HP D44 or Stock.

Patrick