• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom Dash Opinions & Suggestions

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
OK... here are the 3 versions of my dash that I've come up with. Posted these on another Bronco site as well.

Any input you have before I start cutting would be most appreciated!

Version 1
Was suggested that the vents wouldn't fit where the defrost ducts are... so I moved it

Version 2
Thought it was too cluttered... but at least the AC vents were in a better position. The stereo has been moved to a yet to be designed center console.

Version 3
Moved some switches around in lieu of a new tilt steering wheel with the E-Flashers on the column instead of on the dash. Got 2005 F150 vents to put in here instead of the Vintage Air billet ones on a suggestion from Jason at BC.

Please... all comments are welcome. I'm itchin to get out the sawzall and drill and start messin with a clean slate dash cover!

Also... any suggestions on how to do the brackets for the glovebox hole (keeper, hinges and catch) would also be most appreciated...;D

Attachments

• Bronco_dash_layout01sm.jpg
    Bronco_dash_layout01sm.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 271
  • Bronco_dash_layout02sm.jpg
    Bronco_dash_layout02sm.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Bronco_dash_layout03sm.jpg
    Bronco_dash_layout03sm.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 293
OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I like having the controls accessible and I like keeping it somewhat original... if only in a different configuration. I do like having simplicity... but I feel stronger that I can design a better config using what the original designers used. More ergonomic and more structured for ease of use.

Each has a purpose... so use em ;D

I agree with a few other comments prior that the stereo just muddles the fruit... hence putting in on a center console.

BTW... I found several sources for various parts for custom interiors that are really trick (PM if you would like a list)... there are some real geniuses out there. If mine comes out the way I want, I may build a mold and make a few... photos to follow.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
PM me the list please. New dash is one of my winter projects. :)

BTW... I found several sources for various parts for custom interiors that are really trick (PM if you would like a list)...

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Another vote for #3. Like the others are saying, it is the least cluttered.

Hors'nround

Loc.
Spruce Grove Alberta
Number three looks the nicest to me.

I wonder if all the layouts were the same color, would three still be the main choice? I think that color helps for sure, and the vents, Oh yeah the Bronco script looks cool with the Ranger tag...

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
color... maybe....

I have pretty much resolved to using wrinkle finish black on the final piece... the black, white and chrome theme feels good... and goes with just about anything.

Kinda like telling yer wife to put on something black and some pearls ;) She'll look great regardless... classy.

Goin Off Bronco

Loc.
Torrance, Ca
Also, you might consider using Chucks all new dash, instead of a cover over. the two layers can make it hard to mount things in your new locations, and those that cut out the majority of the old one leaves a buch of butchered up metal. my vote is Chucks all new one. thats what we did in the BroncoNator.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
no full cage (let the flames begin)... so the glovebox door, switches and vents aren't an issue

Dusty..thanks on the kudos for the graphics... it's my job. Mostly extreme sports... need an advertising artist? Nice re-do on your site BTW

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Jason at BC sent me some photos of his and Chucks. (Was Jason's suggestion for the F150 vents)... also the TerraComp fiberglass ones.

I have the blank steel cover and I can weld the brackets that hold the latch and keeper on the backside of the steel for the glovebox... not sure what I would do on fiberglass for those.... I'm trying to keep the amount of screw heads from showing and not floating the whole thing with bondo.

I just want it to be stout, clean, and relatively easy to mod... a dash with the stock speedo cluster hole would be nice (in the original position) ;)

Heus33

Bronco Guru
They all look great - I dont think you can go wrong with any of those, but #3 is my favorite too.

Now get to work!

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I like #2 or #3. I think it would look even better if the knobs matched the original Bronco layout (only more of them). I would loose the brake light, by the time it comes on you probably already know there is a problem anyway. :)

I went through all of this and ended up much more simple a layout than I wanted. As mentioned above the front legs of a cage will cause problems witn all 3 lauouts. The defrost ducts may be a problem with #1 and maybe even #2. If the front legs of a cage come down in front of the dash they will block the air outlets.

Any of them are nice and I like the way you are incorporating controls onto the dash using stock looking controls instead of a lot of extra toggles.