• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom Gas Cap. Please Help

Robster

Hey guys I am wanting to install a custom gas cap that is flush with the body. I found some cool ones but need to know if I need a vented or non vented cap. Does anyone know. I'm not even sure what that means. Please help. Thank you

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
To vent the gases out. The earlier Broncos has a vent and the newer ones had a charcoal vent system without vented gas cap... not sure on the years, but my 1968 has the vented one. Take the one you have on it now off, turn around see if has a vented knob thingy on it lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regular old vented ran up to about mid-'70 or so. Anytime after that they used a "non-vented" cap.
Still vented of course, but only to allow air in to take up space of the used fuel. No more venting to atmosphere.

What year is your Bronco Robster?
The filler neck is different for the two styles as well, with one having deeper latch points than the other. This way you could not accidentally put a vented cap on a non-vented smog equipped rig.

Good luck.
Let us know for sure how your project goes! We love seeing custom gas cap stuff. Especially doors and hidden thingies and such, but even something basic is picture worthy around here.

Paul

OP
OP
R

Robster

It's a 1974 buddy. Do you know which version of gas cap I would have ? Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it's the longer reach version, but that's not as common to know or choose by as is just the application year. So you just buy one for a '74 Bronco and should be good.

You looking for just a stock type low profile model? Or something totally flush?
Here are a few of the common choices these days: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Fuel_Tanks
Nothing really custom in the super low profile category. Lots of members here have custom installed flush doors from the aftermarket, but those usually entail modifying the whole filler neck, so your original style cap won't matter any more. Just what you will be using with it from now on.

Good luck.

Paul